IGNORED

[2016] What Did You Do To/with Your Z Today?

zed2

Finally got my rebuilt E31 head assembled, back on the engine and torqued down. Exhaust manifold is installed.

Hooking up water and electrics now. Intake and carbs last I think.

Its a good thing I took the head to the machinist to have him look at it. i just had the valves and valve seals installed.

No springs and retainers. He said it looked fine but had to remove the valves as the stems had a coat of assembly lube

on the valve stems. I said yup that was me. He goes not a good idea. A valve can stick using that stuff. Just use 

your same engine oil. I learned a good lesson. Do not do what I did. If I had damaged a valve and piston, that would

have set me back until next year.

• Like 1

One more thing off my to do list, I replaced the sad looking headlights that were in my car when I got it in 1978.  It was long over due. While I was at it I cleaned the corrosion and oxidation from the HL wiring harnesses with WEICON Electro Contact Cleaner, thanks @Chickenman for the name of the local distributor.

Here's what the old Bosch H4's looked like, in and out

IMG_5361s.JPGIMG_5374s.JPG

And with the new halogen sealed beams in,

IMG_5401s.JPG

IMG_5404s.JPG

Since I had the wheels off I couldn't resist taking a few pics with my original Bridgestone175SR14 Super Speed Radial spare on. Now if I only had three more I would be set.

IMG_5395w.JPGIMG_5392w.JPG

Edited by CanTechZ
  • Like 2

Zup's JNC car gets love at Detroit Iron car show!  :)

Saturday was the Lincoln Ar. car show.  The 5th Annual Chicken Rod Nationals.  A local show show totally slanted toward classic american & hot rod cars.  Think your beloved Datsun can't compete with the the big boys of Detroit Iron where chrome bling & raw horsepower are king?   Think again.

On a perfect day, with a turnout of over 120 cars, many of which were very, very nice high dollar machines with Weiand Blowers & Chrome bling under the hood, the judge's were wowed by Zup's immaculate and pure engine compartment and awarded him ..... Best Engine !    An amazing accomplishment, I was so happy for him that his car received that recognition - totally unexpected.

It was a fun day at a very well run event.  Proceeds went to a local charity.

LCS1.jpgLCS2.jpgLCS3.jpgLCS4.jpgLCS5.jpgLCS6.jpg

Edited by S30Driver
left out word
  • Like 3

AAWWWW Shucks guys  :blush:

IMG_0259.JPG

S30Driver--Absolutely the best part of the day was spending it with you, showing our loved Z'z, yaking  and talking with the appreciative folks at the Chicken Rod Nationals.

Mike W--So  wish you were here!--you would have loved it! I can hear your laughter now as you gazed at the "Rabbit" (which won "Most Rust" !)IMG_0195.JPGIMG_0199.JPG

IMG_0200.JPG

The show was not all lewdiculous--- here are a few others:

IMG_0216.JPG

IMG_0218.JPG

IMG_0225.JPG

IMG_0234.JPG

IMG_0232.JPG

IMG_0251.JPG

Lastly, a photo of Zilver, which blew me away with the award of "Best Engine"!

What a totally unexpected happening at what was, for the most part, an "American car" show!

Great times in NWA shared with Jim2.

IMG_0247.JPG

IMG_0198.JPG

Edited by Zup
removed one too many rats
  • Like 1

• Mike locked this topic