IGNORED

ZCON 2016 Pics (with love)

Actually, the Canadian Screw was when I got the bill from Canadian Tire.  :o  I think I could have bought a whole new tire for what they charged for the repair.

In all honesty however, I have to give big kudos to the tech that did the repair. The tech came walking out to pull the car into the shop, but when he saw it, he handed me the keys back because he didn't want to take the chance of messing something up. He also let me work the floor jack myself because I know where the jack points are. He asked what pressure I wanted in the tire and also allowed me to torque the lugs myself using his torque wrench. He was very respectful of the car and I really appreciated that.

Only thing I didn't like was the cost.

• Like 4

You're the guy that tears things down to figure out how they work!  The tech probably took your tire to the back room and used one of these on it - https://www.amazon.com/Black-Iron-Tire-Repair-Plugs/dp/B019FZMIDM/ref=sr_1_27/168-6815766-1608455?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1470792775&sr=1-27-spons&psc=1

I have several in my various tires right now.

I've got an excellent plug repair kit. I just didn't have it with me. I have a Tech Permacure kit and I've had excellent success with it. This is the manufacturer that all the pro shops around me use. You can get different sized kits. Mine looks like this:
img204.gif

I asked the service manager at Canadian Tire if they could just plug the hole and they said that they would not do that. They would sell me a plug kit (the pipe cleaner looking style that you linked to) that I could purchase and use in the parking lot. But if they were going to fix it, they insisted on dismounting the tire and patching it from the inside as that's really a better way to do it.

They used one of those patches with the rubber prong in the center on the inside. I think it was from Tech.

1 hour ago, Captain Obvious said:

Actually, the Canadian Screw was when I got the bill from Canadian Tire.  :o  I think I could have bought a whole new tire for what they charged for the repair.

In all honesty however, I have to give big kudos to the tech that did the repair. The tech came walking out to pull the car into the shop, but when he saw it, he handed me the keys back because he didn't want to take the chance of messing something up. He also let me work the floor jack myself because I know where the jack points are. He asked what pressure I wanted in the tire and also allowed me to torque the lugs myself using his torque wrench. He was very respectful of the car and I really appreciated that.

Only thing I didn't like was the cost.

Yup we try to avoid that place when we can.

They do sell the plug kits. 

Blue, Captain Obvious - thanks for the great pics. It was a great ZCON - my first one and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I think our local Ontario chapter did us proud in the organization of the event. By far the best part was hanging with the fine gentlemen on this forum. So many good people from all over North America sharing a common love of the Z car - priceless.

cheers

• Like 2

Can someone PLEASE get some info posted on the award winners?  Pretty please!!!  ZCCA carefully took pictures of each and every award winner at Memphis but not a single picture or list of awardees has made its way to the website a year later.  In looking over some various Toronto posts on FB, I saw pics of the slideshow of awards and it looks like there were two Gold winners - but again no details forthcoming.

26th-Z,

I believe that you are correct.  According to the official ZCCA judging rules, Gold Medallion is for the stock class and Gold Cup is for the modified classes.  I know that in Memphis there was not a Gold Medallion winner as there was not a stock car that met the guidelines.  This is probably the hardest category in which to compete as everything has to be as it  was from the factory.  There were 3 Gold Cup awards in Memphis, one for each of the 3 modified classes (Street Modified - up to 15 visible mods, Nissan Modified - up to 25 visible modes, and Ultra Modified - more than 25).  There are also some additional rules about maintaining body lines etc.  So for example, even if you had less than 25 mods but had a body kit installed on your car, you would be automatically put into the ultra modified class as changes in body lines / contours are not allowed in the other 2 modified categories.

The ZCCA has their judging rules available on their website for download if anyone is interested.

Hope that helps.

Mike.

11 minutes ago, 26th-Z said:

I recall that the  ZCCA used to award a "Gold Medallion" in the stock classes and a "Gold Cup" in the modified classes.  Have they changed that?

You're memory is right on track - those are still the awards.  The pics of the slides I saw simply said "Gold Winner" with no clarification.  One appeared to be a S30, the other a Z32.