IGNORED

Z Proto: The next z reveal

AZDatsun

9 hours ago, 260DET said:

Pfffft to what it looks like, the thing is it uses the 370Z structure and that car never made on the track. So have Nissan kidnapped some chassis experts to sort the thing out with some better grip controllable on the limit and comparable with the Euros? This would not cost a lot of money just a determination to do it right like they did in 1969.

I suspect the answer to that will be available shortly after the vehicle goes into full production. I'm not sure what "never made it on the track" means, as there are plenty of them in competitive racing. 

3 minutes ago, Pilgrim said:

I'm not sure what "never made it on the track" means, as there are plenty of them in competitive racing. 

If I didn't see it, it doesn't exist. Kind of like how a lot of Americans say Nissan didn't make a 260Z in 1977. LOL

• 2 weeks later...

My ambiguous. Of course plenty of 370Z's were raced but to my knowledge they were never competitive at the top end. Most of the top end makes were more expensive but comparable in engine capacity. Money spent was not the problem, it boiled down to inferior mechanical grip and chuckability, to use a technical description. 

Edited by 260DET

4 hours ago, Jeff G 78 said:

Not that I'm in any position to get a new DD right now, but I do like the new Z.  I briefly considered selling the Porsche and maybe even my 280Z next year to help offset the cost of the new Z.  But then I noticed that I see a heck of a lot of 370Z's in my area and every one of them is ratty with mismatched body panels, slammed ride height and stupid loud exhaust with a punk kid driving.  It will take time, but I see the new Z getting the same treatment and that's not my vibe.  After all the S13's and S14's were ruined, the same people started buying up the Z33's and Z34's.  I think I'll keep my 996 and my S30. 

That's how it always works. When the first generation of Z-cars got a bit old and worn, kids got ahold of them and turned them into rusty, noisy hooptys. That happens to all cars that have any performance vibe about them. But many survived without that level of violation, and they're the ones we have today.

I learned at ZCON that my '83 280ZXT is one of the cleanest and most original of its generation. That feels pretty nice!

Edited by Pilgrim
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Pilgrim said:

That's how it always works. When the first generation of Z-cars got a bit old and worn, kids got ahold of them and turned them into rusty, noisy hooptys. That happens to all cars that have any performance vibe about them. But many survived without that level of violation, and they're the ones we have today.

I learned at ZCON that my '83 280ZXT is one of the cleanest and most original of its generation. That feels pretty nice!

My dad bought the Nissan D21 pickup i now currently daily when it was brand new in 1993.  I have just simply maintained it, no mods, other than just lowered 2 inches.  Most have ended up like this:

d21.jpg

Edited by Reptoid Overlords

4 hours ago, Reptoid Overlords said:

My dad bought the Nissan D21 pickup i now currently daily when it was brand new in 1993.  I have just simply maintained it, no mods, other than just lowered 2 inches.  Most have ended up like this:

d21.jpg

Cool grill. The bumper looks askew.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I suspect CAFE standards play a big part in the front end design.  The sugar scoops are not very good for aero or the large open grill area. That being said, you would have to sell a lot of Zs for any mileage penalty to affect the overall fleet average

3 hours ago, Diseazd said:

I agree ……the front is not good IMO. This is how it should look…..this would triple sales IMO. Ford did it with the Mustang and Chysler with the Challenger.Come on Nissan….nostalgia is what we’re looking for…..give us a cool Z!!!

AE2008D6-E986-49D1-B6A0-F73D78C4C2F3.png

It looks too much like an S30, or 280ZX, not saying thats a bad thing, but I think auto makers and corporation as a whole try to always modernize their product. Making something thats almost a replica of something in their past may seem a bit hackish. They would get just as much pushback on that design as they do on the real one.

But I'm no marketing expert, I'm just a user.

Edited by DC871F