IGNORED

Z Proto: The next z reveal

AZDatsun

From our friends over at CarScoops.com 

The next Nissan Z sports car is almost here as the Japanese automaker has announced September 15 as the debut date for the 370Z successor.

Called the Nissan Z Proto, the new sports car is teased in a new video that features its predecessors. “Nissan is reawakening the Power of Z with the new Nissan Z Proto. We’ve combined 50 years of passion and heritage with modern technology to design the new generation of the legendary Z sports car,” the automaker says in a short statement accompanying the video.

The Nissan Z Proto will be unveiled on Tuesday, September 15 at 7:30 p.m. CDT at the Nissan Pavilion in Yokohama, Japan. No other details are provided but the video does offer a glimpse of the fifth-generation Z sports car. It’s not as revealing as the group teaser video Nissan dropped on May 28 but it does reveal how the LED headlights look in the dark.

See Also: The 2021 Nissan 400Z Should Look Just Like This

Nissan-400Z2g.jpg

Given the timing of the unveiling, it’s reasonable to believe the automaker will launch the Z Proto for the 2021 model year, though obviously we can’t know that for sure. Still, this seems to dismiss a recent report that said the new Z sports car would launch in late 2022.

Unless the ‘Proto’ in the model’s name is a reference to “prototype”, in which case the Z Proto is a near-production prototype. Obviously, there are more questions than answers at the moment regarding the new Z sports car.

However, word on the street is the Z Porto will be based on the 370Z architecture instead of being an all-new effort. Expect it to have around 400 horsepower from a twin-turbo 3.0-liter V6 sourced from Infiniti’s Q50 and Q60 Red Sport 400. Rumor has it Nissan will offer it with a six-speed manual or nine-speed automatic, though this hasn’t been confirmed.

Source:  DAN MIHALASCU | POSTED ON 

https://www.carscoops.com/2020/09/nissans-new-z-sports-car-to-debut-september-15-as-the-z-proto/

6 hours ago, heyitsrama said:

I really hope they put an option with an electric motor. I would think Nissan has the tech available from LEAF. I dont want to choose between a `model 3` and a `400z`, i would think the price point would be around the same, mid-30k.

I'm for keeping the new Z fossil fuel burner with an option of a twin turbo. 

Nissan should learn a lesson from the 2nd gen Acura NSX.  It was intended to be a V-10, but went into production with a V-6 and electric motor assist, losing it's soul in the process.  It's indeed a technical marvel and strong performer on paper but since 2016, less than 2000 have been built.  Not really a marketplace success for a flagship model.

• Like 2

Was is the lack of a v10 that hurt the sales? I would think at ~$155k there is competition for other cars that can out perform it.

I was not around during the 70's, but looking at cars around that era it seems that the Z helped bring an era of cheap/fun/reliable sports cars. They may have a chance to do that again with an electric platform.

http://japanesenostalgiccar.com/is-this-the-rear-of-the-next-generation-nissan-z/#more-81181

This rendering makes the car look kinda flat..

• Like 1