IGNORED

240Z vs. Ferrari

I was thinking it would be nice to have a vette, early 90's but after watching wheeler dealers and seeing what a clutch takes to replace (torque tube) I decided my Z is way better. Again you have to keep the car and maintain it. Maybe for me its a age thing, but new cars look like toys to me. The new supra is a classic example looks like a plastic toy. I also don't need a car that can go 200 mph. Anyway curious to see what others would give up their Z to own. Agree that its prob more a nostalgia thing since I tend to like car styles that were popular in my youth.

Edited by Dave WM
  • Like 3

DaveWM

Agree that is very much nostalgia driven.  That's what drives the collector car market.  Guys in their peak earning years can now go out and buy the cars they lusted for as 18 year olds.  It's a market that comes and goes.  Model A Fords used to be worth a lot more than they are today just because that demographic is past their wrenching, tinkering, and show'n' shining days.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, 240260280 said:

Lotus Elise

Ford GT

Lancia Stratos

The Lotus is too small and I won't fit

The Ford GT is too expensive to insure or to leave in a parking lot

the Lancia would be expensive to maintain too.

I want a car I can actually park somewhere and not feel like it's going to be gone or trashed when I get back. At one point Ferrari 328's were not unreasonable but where can you park it and leave it? You can't... if you go out for a drive you have to bring it home or park it somewhere safe.

Also the Z is as fast or faster 0-60 than all the 308's other than the Quattrovalvole. It's also cheaper to pick up some horsepower than a Ferrari would be. For a little more than a timing belt service you can get a Rebello or Datsun Spirit motor!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Dave WM said:

Anyway curious to see what others would give up their Z to own.

Oh, I have to give up the Z to get this other car?  No thanks. In addition to the Z,  sure I'd like a BMW  Z8 or one of the newer Ford GT40

Corvettes have never done it for me but that new mid engine Vette looks very promising. 

3 hours ago, Patcon said:

The Lotus is too small and I won't fit

The Ford GT is too expensive to insure or to leave in a parking lot

the Lancia would be expensive to maintain too.

I want a car I can actually park somewhere and not feel like it's going to be gone or trashed when I get back. At one point Ferrari 328's were not unreasonable but where can you park it and leave it? You can't... if you go out for a drive you have to bring it home or park it somewhere safe.

The cool thing about any exotic car with a manual transmission is that you eliminate a lot of younger car thieves who only know how to shift an automatic.  All is good unless they bring a trailer.

Dennis

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Only 18% of Americans know how to drive a manual transmission. I have 2002 Xterra as my airport car when in Memphis. It’s a manual and anyone who gets in the car comments on it. I them them it’s my anti-theft device.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Dave WM said:

hmm, is there a car you would rather have than your Z, lets say it just fall in your lap. Now the qualifier is you have to keep it, no selling to buy a bunch of Z's its going to be something you actually drive, maintain and insure.

Mine would be a Porsche 911 Carrera S...  ?

• Like 1