IGNORED

[2023] What Did You Do To/with Your Z Today?

zed2

It was a gorgeous day for Trunk or Treat at Caffeine and Chrome. (If you have a Gateway Classic Cars near you, you might want to go to Caffeine and Chrome. There are 21 locations scattered across the US.) The wife passed out candy to kids, and I got to look at cars & chill.

The weather is still warm (through Monday) around here, so it was an ideal day to go for a drive and hang out at a car show. I also ended up helping a Z friend. He said he was parking and felt the steering column become loose. He found a bolt on the floor and put it back in, but he said it still felt floppy. I looked at the car and found the other 3 bolts were barely on. Fortunately I had my travel tools with me, so I got the other 3 bolts nice and snug.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

There was an S130 & a Z32 on consignment there, too.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Installed the rebuilt brake booster and new master cylinder today. Booster was rebuilt by Harmon Classic Brakes. They sent back the parts they replaced, and surprisingly they look pretty good for 51 years old. It was time for a rebuild, as brakes needed too much effort and stepping on the brake peddle at a stop light caused the engine RPMs to increase. Also flushed out the old brake fluid.

20231104_131525_resized.jpg

20231104_131544_resized.jpg

20231105_175530_resized.jpg

• Like 4

This is a reminder to check your fuel hoses on a regular basis.  My '78 280Z started losing fuel pressure overnight, making it hard to start.  I had previously installed a check valve in the supply hose between the filter and the rail, so it always fired right up prior to this.  I wasn't sure if the check valve had failed, or if there was something else going on.  I was also getting some fuel smell, so I suspected that there was a leak somewhere.

Upon inspection, I found a wet spot on the hose between the chassis supply pipe and the fuel filter.  The Gates hose, which was maybe 10 years old, was failing at both ends.  I swapped the hose and all is well again.  I'm not sure why this particular hose failed since it's one of the newer hoses on the car.  I replaced all of the FI hoses about 15 years ago.  One end had an OE wire clamp and the other end had a regular hose clamp.  Both ends looked the same and both were leaking.  Luckily, the leak was on the cold side of the engine.

20231111_125449.jpg

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

We had a UK member’s hoses fail in under 1 year!!!! He went to start his car and waited for the fuel pump to build pressure - but then saw a mist hanging above the louvres of the bonnet. He popped the bonnet to find his virtually new braided hoses were creating a fine mist!

Ethanol is nasty stuff. Even the R9 hoses aren’t ethanol proof - so it’s best to use bio fuel hoses.

https://www.advancedfluidsolutions.co.uk/100-bio-fuel-hoses-petrol--diesel-hose-0--100-199-c.asp

Swapped out the MT90 to the Swepco201 gear oil and the steel synchros are way way happier in giving me gears!!

The roads have been salted around here so I warmed the car up on the drive - don’t try this at home kids!! The rough running engine is a function of my “on the choke adjustment” not being identical on the carbs.

Swepco201 ain’t cheap but worth it if you have steel synchros.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, AK260 said:

The roads have been salted around here so I warmed the car up on the drive - don’t try this at home kids!! 

That road salt makes a good "dirty margarita" apparently. You all are a wee bit loony! 

Damned if I would take a picture of this mowing job. I can cut straight lines falling down drunk. LOL 

image.png

• Haha 4

• 4 months later...