IGNORED

Blown head gasket

dylancorrea1

2 hours ago, Mark Maras said:

I think a compression test is a good idea, however, the symptom of the car not moving faster than 5 mph isn't a sign of a bad head gasket. After the compression test I'd look into fuel supply problems and then ignition problems.

It is possible the engine is so badly overheated or low on compression that it wont make enough power to get over 5 mph. I suspect all the symptoms are related

20 hours ago, dylancorrea1 said:

the car completely shut off and lost power, it wouldn’t turn back on.  The only only way to turn it on is by turning the key and pressing the accelerator. It will not go faster than 5 mph.

This is not enough to really begin making guesses.  Remove the spark plugs and examine them.  They can tell you a lot about what's happening in the cylinders.  You'll have to remove them anyway to measure cylinder pressure.

The fact that it runs means that you can listen to it and mess with it while it is running.  You can learn a lot that way also.

The coolant might be a "red herring".  Irrelevant to the running problem.

• Agree 2

On 10/22/2021 at 8:08 PM, dylancorrea1 said:

I do know how to do a compression test, ill start there it is dangerous to start though? Should i do an oil change and refill radiator?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

After the radiator upgrade, did you make sure the cooling system was fully filled before driving the car?

After this last drive when the engine began running oddly, did you pull the spark plugs? As already mentioned, used plugs tell a story.

Since the engine still starts and runs, does it make any odd noises? Even though the temperature gage doesn’t work, you can still get an idea of how “hot” it is getting, put your hand on the thermostat housing, upper and lower radiator hoses, the heater hoses, and the upper radiator tank. If it is too hot to hold your hand on it, it is running too hot. Otherwise, overheating may not be the issue.

It would also be a good idea to use a cooling system pressure tester. Pressurizing the system will immediately show any leaks.

I can’t tell by the picture you posted where the coolant is leaking from, so try and get some better pictures to post. All we can see is a wet spot on the crossmember. Also, it looks like the hoses are original. When you changed out the radiator, it would have been a good idea to replace all the hoses. 

You mentioned the weather has been poor, do you not park the car inside? Working on any car outdoors sucks, and these cars need to be kept inside anyway.

Edited by Racer X

fyi, that pic of the liquid is in the same place the coolant would accumulate on mine when the front cover was leaking around where  weep slot was located. this slot goes to a channel in the front cover that goes around the coolant flow passages between the block and front cover.

Not saying these has ANY thing to do with you running issues, just an observation.

• Agree 1