IGNORED

Blown head gasket

dylancorrea1

So the car had been driving fine for a bit, decided to do a spin on a nice day, about 1 hour in on the way back, the car completely shut off and lost power, it wouldn’t turn back on. The only only way to turn it on is by turning the key and pressing the accelerator. It will not go faster than 5 mph. There is not much coolant in radiator, oil level seems okay, didn’t notice any “chocolate milk” although i did check a day after as I had something to do that day. Theres coolant that I can clearly see, I’m not sure if the car blew a gasket or just overheated, I pushed it back home as it was close. In the picture where the little liquid puddle has formed thats the coolant. Any ideas? f689f4bdb3ff98ad71040b444a5db864.jpg

f689f4bdb3ff98ad71040b444a5db864.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not really a good idea to run without a temp or oil gauge. So it probably ran hot, warped the head, possibly scored the cylinders. It's gonna need some major investigation. I would pull the head and check for flatness.

Well I might run a compression test first...

• Like 1

Not really a good idea to run without a temp or oil gauge. So it probably ran hot, warped the head, possibly scored the cylinders. It's gonna need some major investigation. I would pull the head and check for flatness.
Well I might run a compression test first...

The oil gauge works fine, its the temp one that Doesn’t , well damn it is as bad as i figured. I’ll give it an open sometime this week or next since its been raining non stop.

I think you should do a compression test first while its assembled. That will provide some numbers first. Many parts stores have them and some have them as rentals. If you've never done one, ask questions...

I do know how to do a compression test, ill start there it is dangerous to start though? Should i do an oil change and refill radiator?

@dylancorrea1Your not starting the car during a compression test so don’t be concerned about creating any more damage. If you have questions on doing it properly please ask questions where we can help.  Good luck and pass on your findings. A cold test should give you some idea.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1