IGNORED

Barefootdan's 280z Build

Barefootdan

1 hour ago, Yarb said:

@Captain ObviousIs your life insurance policy up to date??😂😂😂

When I was doing hurricane work we went to the plastic furniture dollies. They lasted so much longer than the wooden plus the higher weight capacity.

https://www.harborfreight.com/30-in-x-18-in-1000-lb-capacity-polypropylene-dolly-69566.html

4 hours ago, siteunseen said:

When I was doing hurricane work we went to the plastic furniture dollies. They lasted so much longer than the wooden plus the higher weight capacity.

https://www.harborfreight.com/30-in-x-18-in-1000-lb-capacity-polypropylene-dolly-69566.html

Why not just use the actual made-for-the-job HF dollies?  They're actually cheaper than the general-purpose ones.  Do they not raise the car high enough?

https://www.harborfreight.com/2-piece-1500-lb-capacity-vehicle-dollies-67338.html

1 hour ago, BoldUlysses said:

Why not just use the actual made-for-the-job HF dollies?  They're actually cheaper than the general-purpose ones.

I have a pair of the vehicle dollies as well, but no... They do not raise the car nearly as high as the moving dollies with a couple slabs of wood on top. And... I'm not sure which moving dollies you were looking at, but the small ones are currently $26 for a pair while a pair of those vehicle dollies you linked to are sixty bucks. So if you want them on all four corners, you can get four of the moving dollies for less than one pair of the vehicle versions.

I also found that the moving dollies roll much easier than the vehicle dollies. Not sure why, but they just move a lot easier.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Yarb said:

@Captain ObviousIs your life insurance policy up to date??😂😂😂

Haha!! Probably not, but of all the stupid stuff I do, I'm less worried about those dollies than the rest of the stupid stuff.  LOL

And the rating on the small moving dollies is 1000 pounds each. Now I don't trust the absolute validity of that rating, but it's about twice what you would be putting on it with a corner of the Z. So there is a significant overrating. 

• Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...

I got everything torqued down and took her for a spin after a couple months of sitting around! Apart from some small annoyances like my steering wheel off center (fixed after the drive) the test drive went well. I have some small steering wheel vibration but I’m not worrying about this with the old wheel and tire combo that’s on the car right now. I am betting it is just an out of balance wheel. 

When I came home I did notice that my passenger rear wheel has some toe in. As these done have toe adjustment, something isn’t right. 

passenger side:

E1A57BA6-8BBE-49AC-B609-0E3B3AA5B4CF.jpeg

driver side:

3A16380C-D7B3-4E7C-AA2C-A98AD3D5D441.jpeg

I took off the wheel for any noticeable mishaps. Nothing looks out of place and bushings appear to be seated correctly. I checked for any loose bolts or nuts in case I missed my first round of torquing. Perhaps there’s a sequence I missed?

I then measured the two control arms and both were very nearly identical. I also measured my hub to the back plate and I could tell it was off in the correct direction by about 1/16”. Although I’m not sure this measurement reference point is most accurate to use? I’m thinking the old sloppy bushings hid this well and putting in new poly bushings shed some light to the issue. I’ll need to investigate more but it’s a bummer after putting in all that work! 

Dan, did you make sure the bushings were seated properly before tightening them down. I slowly tightened mine down to make sure it didn’t pull the control arm out of whack. It doesn’t take much to to that. I might loosen them back up and then get the wheel straight and then slowly retighten. Just a thought because unless the control arm is bent this has to be the only reason

I’ll give it a shot! Visually it looked okay but I black bushings with black chassis paint I could be off. Did you tighten the large bolts first or the two smaller carrier bolts? If I recall, poly bushings don’t care about the order of operations but I’d it’d just add some peace of mind. 

Small bolts first. There is is a small pinch on either side of the bushing that fits perfectly between where the pieces of metal meet. As you tighten just make sure that pinch stays properly seated. I torqued the large bolls last

• Thanks 1