IGNORED

Picking up a 1977 280z 6 Hours Away. Tips?

BayAreaZ650

43 minutes ago, siteunseen said:

So your wife is a bad a s s? I'll remember that if I ever get the opportunity to meet her. :love:

Yep, she's been kick'n both of my hind cheeks for over 24 years and shows no sign of letting up.?

• Haha 3

There's a reason the fuses blow and the wipers come on by themselves. I would try and figure that out. I fixed my combo switch by just flipping those 2 plates and some cleaning. I have that on my laptop. I will post it tomorrow.

Cliff 

The bumpers! They get a bad rap.

Edited by siteunseen
  • Like 1

On 7/3/2019 at 3:29 PM, wal280z said:

Did you figure out why the fuse blew? I know I'm not you, and you aren't me, but I would want to figure out why it blows before I paint it... I guarantee the bumpers aren't causing the short...

I know wiring isn't for everyone, but...... there is a present for you (and every other 1977 owner), right here on this site....

Check out the download section, specifically wiring diagrams...  https://www.classiczcars.com/files/

No I didn’t fix it yet. I’ll definitely getting to it this month.

I been meaning to ask what this crack near the passenger side quarter panel could be. The driver’s side is slightly raised (middle photo). Is this frame damage or rust? Can it be fixed?

Today I fixed a leak! The transmission leak was caused by the mechanic not tightening the drain bolt?

C1BC0949-538A-413A-B7B5-2DA51DEA724D.jpeg

84C3CEF7-24CC-4E4C-AD8E-E270CCB8C6F3.jpeg

D3D46264-992B-49C1-BCA8-7443F36C7F78.jpeg

Edited by BayAreaZ650

That is the lead weld that holds the roof to the rear quarter panels or sails.  They used lead so the joint could flex a bit and still stay smooth. Most Z's don't have a problem with the joint cracking but sometimes, if the car has been thrashed on the track and the body has been over stressed you will see cracks forming at that seam,  also, sometimes water gets to the lead, it oxidises/expands and a crack forms.

The D/S looks okay it just needed a bit more smoothing before it was painted, the P/S looks like the water has gotten to it.  The only way to fix it is take that area down to bare metal and dig out all the punky lead, hopefully the water hasn't gotten to the steel yet.

Bayarea

Don't get the idea to weld the roof joint up solid. The car needs to flex some and the designers selected this area to flex. If you make it too ridgid you could crack the A pillars or some other area on the car!

• Like 1