IGNORED

Picking up a 1977 280z 6 Hours Away. Tips?

BayAreaZ650

Good morning everyone,

I am picking up a 1977 280z in Southern California and driving it back to Sacramento. The Z has less than 30k miles, new tires, pass smog, new fuel pump, and tune up within the past 6 months. I am planning on rental a car and driving down with my fiance. Then we will be dropping off the rental in SoCal and driving the Z back up.

Is there anything you recommend we bring with us? What do you suggest we do maintenance wise once we get back home?

Thank you!

Loaded question. Tells us more? How much has this car driven recently? Is it a reliable driver or been sitting and just runs. You could end up on the side of the road overheated and be in a pickle. Personally, I’d probably rent a unhaul trailer and find a truck or suv with a towing package. I’m at a pint in my life that I don’t take risks like be stranded on the road. If the car has been a reliable daily driver you’ll probable be okay. Check all the fluids before you pull away, put fresh gas in and have a mental backup plan. If you need to be at work the next morning maybe give yourself some extra time. A Uhaul might cost $75. You surely know someone with a truck in Sacramento. Putting a car that’s not been a daily driving on a 6 hour journey might be a bad idea. So tell us something that instills confidence.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

30 minutes ago, BayAreaZ650 said:

Good morning everyone,

I am picking up a 1977 280z in Southern California and driving it back to Sacramento. 
Is there anything you recommend we bring with us? 

Thank you!

AAA Card.  

That's a serious drive in an unproven old car.  Have it checked by a mechanic when you get back to Sacto.  Good luck!

Dennis

Consider renting a truck and trailer in SoCal and hauling it back. It's not as much fun as driving a Z, but if something breaks down, the rental company has to fix it. Penske and Budget are better options than U-Haul IMHO.

• Like 1

yep, that's a haul for and unproven car. I had a alt go out on mine, taking out the electrics, then there was the water pump, both of those can get you. At the very least if you must drive it, with the engine off see if the fan will rock showing play in the bearing. Bring some water and bars leak stop incase the rad springs a leak.

oh and the most important thing, a fire extinguisher. Start the engine and look for fuel leaks around the hoses. If the hose are OE, then you are likely to spring a gas leak, don't want a fire ball on your hands.

Edited by Dave WM

I purchased my Z in NJ but live in OH. I was planning on driving the Z back to Ohio but was convinced to tow it. It turned out that the clutch was on it's last leg and it never would of made it. You cannot assume the seller knows of hidden issues.  There are so many things that could be a problem. Get a truck/trailer or  be prepared to have it towed 300 miles. Don't forget to call Hagerty to get it insured.

1 hour ago, SteveJ said:

Consider renting a truck and trailer in SoCal and hauling it back. It's not as much fun as driving a Z, but if something breaks down, the rental company has to fix it. Penske and Budget are better options than U-Haul IMHO.

I bought my ‘75 280Z in NorCal (Petaluma) and rented a truck & trailer to bring it home to SoCal.  The car was driveable, but I didn’t want to take a chance, hoping it would make it home without drama.  Towing it home worked out perfectly.  Good luck and congrats on your new Z!

• Like 1

I vote for go for it.  Watch the gauges.  Don't let it overheat.  Make sure the alternator is charging.  Stop and check fluids every hour or two.

It will be an adventure for you and your future wife.  Stories...  Too soon to be mundane.  No offense to the cautious folks.

There are probably some Z oriented shops along the way.  Get their info and make the trip during business hours.

• Like 2

If it hasn't sat for any length of time and is nearly a daily driver I would go for it. Just bring some tools and all fluids just in case, plus what everyone else has said. Do you have pics of it? Sometimes pics may show a different story.

Make sure battery is fully charged and alternator is charged

I would imagine you are taking the interstate 5 or 99. If it were the 101 you would be passing thru Ventura and could make it a pit stop. We could check things out before you made the 400 mile trek, as long as I'm in town then.

Good luck and keep us posted.

• Like 1

I have three zcars. With each, my dad and I took a flight to the car and drove back to Atlanta. My dad and I had a great time along the way each time. Two of the three had mechanical issues that we had to deal with along the way though. Still...I would do all three again. First car was in Portland. Second car was in Phoenix. Third car was in Hershey PA. Each time we packed a suitcase of tools and a few spare parts. 

There was a long arse night in a pretty bad hotel in Midland Texas though. Car was running terrible. Fortunately a spare AFM for a 280 came in handy the next morning.

I would say though...I would not attempt if the car didn't start, drive, stop, etc well enough when I tested it out in person. Because of the questions I had asked prior to the sale though, I felt good about being able to fly out and drive home with parts and tools. If the car didn't check out in person I would have made arrangements for transport...uhaul and rental, or transport company and fly home. 

Edited by jonathanrussell
clarify
  • Like 1

Bring a tool box full of metric everything. Maybe bring an entire gasket set, just in case of a failure, a shop in BFE might be more inclined to replace something if you present the parts. Bring a jack, and some jackstands.

I would replace all the fluids when I got back, even if they were replaced just before the trip. Check the spark plugs once home, and begin surveying your new sickness.

Sent from my N9130 using Tapatalk

• Like 1