Jump to content


  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won


charliekwin last won the day on September 16 2020

charliekwin had the most liked content!

Community Reputation

240 Excellent

1 Follower

About charliekwin

  • Rank
    Active Member


  • Map Location

My Cars

  • Zcars Owned
  • About my Cars
    1987 280z, 2007 G35 sedan 6MT

Recent Profile Visitors

3,969 profile views
  1. I did exactly that. Didn't have a real plan going in but figured it out as I went. There's a lot in my thread starting here: It was a lot of work, but worth it:
  2. Z Expert is just around the corner in Palms. No experience with them personally, but their name comes up often and they seem to have a good reputation.
  3. Yet another Harbor Freight jack owner here. I used to have the aluminum "racing" jack until it and a bag of spare change (and nothing else) were stolen a few years ago when my house was broken into. Replaced with the 3-ton Pittsburgh jack. It's studier, but also weighs a heck of a lot more. Both served me well. With sales and coupons, tough to beat for the price.
  4. That's the approach I've taken with the last 3 cars I've done, including the Z, and I've been happy with the results. Put the Dynamat on the large, flat areas and MLV and/or insulation throughout to block noise. I haven't actually measured, because of laziness and overall disinterest, but I'd bet money that my 280z is less noisy than my wife's 2005 Ford Escape.
  5. I made a new deck for my car a few years ago. Some pictures and info here might help: Any decent hardware store should have everything you need to put yours back together.
  6. The Koenigsegg Agera had the previous record at something like 285mph. A Bugatti Chiron hit 304mph a year or two ago, but that was a specially prepped one-off, which doesn't qualify as a "production" car. ETA: Koenigsegg set their record on the same stretch of road as SSC. There's a video of that run too, and it didn't have any more speed in it. Bugatti set their record on VW's huge proving ground in Germany.
  7. Here's a video of the run: The production on video itself is rather terrible, but watching the speed climb on the run is unreal: 300+ and it's still pulling. Bonkers. I don't know how many people here are NHRA fans, but this thing is hitting top fuel speeds. Just crazy.
  8. Get a few pounds of dry ice. Let it sit for a couple minutes, then smack it with a hammer. Works great. Fun, too. Goof Off (not Goo Gone!) will take off any residue. It's one of the stronger solvents you'll find on store shelves, take proper precautions.
  9. Some movement: the insurance company estimated repairs for the Z at ~$1900. After the deductible, I got a check for $900. I like knowing that I've done all the work on the car, and there's no way I'm finding a shop to repair it for $1900 (let alone $900) so it's DIY job. That check should cover parts and materials, plus labor ...at about 10 cents/hour. I got the fender support mostly straightened out and haven't given up on the fender itself. They're harder to find and none are for sale locally right now, so I'm seeing what I can do. 50/50 right now. Headlight bucket is a goner.
  10. The Z accident is a bummer, but I'm not really angry about it. That kind of thing happens; we're all human. The G tweaks me. No note or anything, there was *plenty* of space, and I'll probably be out a $500 deductible to get it fixed. Lots of things I'd rather spend that money on.
  11. Got to dig into my situation. Preliminary assessment: One good dent on the hood. Wish it weren't so close to the edge. Bad photo, but there's very small break on the opposite side that I don't remember seeing. If I can avoid repainting the bottom of the hood too, that'll be a win. Bumper buckled on the top and bottom. No scrapes or dents anywhere, though! Not sure the best way to get it back to shape, but seems doable. Bracket got pretty well twisted. Probably need to remake at least one of them. Air dam took a little damage from the bumper and one of the holes isn't
  12. The other party was in Jeep Compass. They were in a rental (I think some kind of private party rental) and looks like it just got their bumper and some trim. I filed a claim with my insurance company mainly just so I don't have to worry about any of it. No determination of fault yet. If I get anything from my insurance company, great, but honestly, it's the time and work that's hung over me more than any of the costs. Assuming everything looks good after I pull it apart, I'm probably at ~$500 in parts, paint and other materials. I'm with you guys on the fender and headlight. I'm still jus
  13. No injuries at least, so that's something to be grateful for. Peeked under the hood and didn't see anything that worries me. You're right about the fender and headlight though. I'm dumb enough to at least try to fix it, but almost certainly will need to find new ones. If I do it myself and if I only have to paint the hood and fender, that's not so bad. I had flaws in those panels that nagged at me anyway. There are other flaws that nag at me, and will try hard not to think re-painting the whole care would somehow be a good idea.
  14. Car pulled out of a driveway across multiple lanes of stopped traffic to get into the left turn lane, which I was already in. Stood on the brakes, but wasn't enough. I'll tear into it tomorrow after the adjuster comes, but it looks like the hood and air dam are probably salvageable. Bumper is bent, and maybe fixable too. Door looks fine so far, so I'm hopeful there's no structural damage. Haven't decided how I want to deal with any of it yet.
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.