IGNORED

280Z fusible links

EuroDat

8 hours ago, Zed Head said:

1976 doesn't even have the colors indicated.  They did change the wire colors though.  1978 is all W-WR through the links.  76 has only two white wires indicated.

image.png

image.png

Yer, I noticed that as well. It's three in your screenshot and the color diagram. Looks like the color changdd in the branch off in the loom. Thats (not) great for tracing wiring.

Screenshot_20190323-104446.jpg

It's so nice to finally get all the myth and uncertainty removed from the subject of fusible links, it looks to me at least like all the questions have been answered and confirmed. Who is up to summarize all this and lay it out in a graphic form? @wal280z, wink wink, say no more.:love:

There is one fusible link that hasn't been discussed and that is the white fusible link on the positive battery post that protects #10 on the ECU and #39 on the Air Flow Meter. Are replacements available? Any other fusible links in the system that deserve a look?

IMG_1237.JPG

About the 1976 stuff....

If you look closely at the wire colors and the diagrams, you can see that the 1976 stuff is all kinds of screwed up too.

In this pic, from a very well kept unmolested 76, you can see that the front block has (at least) two W/R wires going to it, and the rear block has (at least) three:
76 blocks.jpg

Some of the wire colors and positioning are confirmed by Zed Head's previous pic as well:
image.png

So with that in mind... First thing that can be deduced? The 1976 color wiring diagram floating around out there is wrong.

Here's the previous snippet that shows four white and four W/R wires going to the link blocks (like the 77), but the photos of actual cars clearly show different:
Screenshot_20190323-104446.jpg

The next thing that can be deduced is that the factory wiring diagram suffers from the same link block positioning issue that exists for 1977. If you trace the circuits and then compare them to the links on the cars, you'll see that they have the link positions wrong in the 1976 FSM. They have the blocks reversed on the FSM wiring diagram:
76 links.jpg

The only thing that seems to have made life easier than the 77 owners is that the stickers on the links themselves seems to have been of better quality and lasted longer than the labels from 77 and 78. Maybe Datsun changed their label manufacturer and went to cheaper labels that didn't last as long.

The other thing that made life easier for the 76 owners is that the creator of the color diagram for 1976 put the link COLORS in the correct geographical locations even though they are in the wrong ELECTRICAL locations on the diagram (did I say that right?) 

grannyknot, That thing you pictured below? I don't think that's the EFI fusible link. The fusible link for the EFI has connectors on both ends and one end plugs into what you show here while the other end plugs into a wire that leads to the EFI system.

2 hours ago, grannyknot said:

There is one fusible link that hasn't been discussed and that is the white fusible link on the positive battery post that protects #10 on the ECU and #39 on the Air Flow Meter. Are replacements available? IMG_1237.JPG

The only pic I currently have of the EFI link from my car is pretty crappy. I can tell you, however, that on my car it's green in color. So if one is to assume that all the fusible links came from Yazaki, then it would be the FLWX-0.5 green wire. Here's what I have. Note that it looks like there are actually two wires, but in fact, there is just one. The other white thing is a non-conducting plastic string between the two connectors. Presumably a strain relief so you don't yank on the fusible link itself:
P1120471.JPG

It's the connector wire between the fusible link and the battery.  Shown in the diagram.  There's a black one too, but it connects directly to the harness.  Both harness connection wires are red (edit - screwed up statement about connectors here).  If the ends get damaged you can't tell which is which. 

image.png

Edited by Zed Head

15 hours ago, Zed Head said:

76 has only two white wires indicated.

image.png

As EuroDat noted I can only count to two apparently.  There are three white wires.

I'll go out and count wires on my car soon just for fun and comparisons to the diagram.  And, for reference and confirmation, I have a bona fide paper 1976 FSM and the black and white diagram matches the one in the back of the book, as far as this little snippet.

It's weird that they don't have some sort of year ID on the legend.  They do feel confident about the drawing though.

image.png