EuroDat

280Z fusible links

    Recommended Posts

    Back in 2014 I purchased a set of fusible links from my local Nissan dealer. They sourced the parts from Coutesy Nissan.

    Wayne is buzy with an update of his electrical diagram and this was a point of discussion.

    Im not sure if they changed the colors, but the set I received is: 

    1x Black p/n: 24161-A0100 (YAZAKIFLWX-1.25)

    1x Green p/n: 24161-28500 (YAZAKIFLWX-0.5)

    2x Brown p/n: 24161-Y0100 (FTX-0.3)

    In (brackets) are codes on the link insulation. The brown have a different number compared to the manual,. They are brown instead of the original red. That could explain the different part number.

    Refering to the parts manual en Waynes color electrical diagram. According to the parts manual Pos 19 is the two (outside) links A and C with a value of 1.25

    Pos 18, link B and D have two values, which doesn't make sense, 0.3 and 0.5. That corresponds with one brown 0.3 and the green 0.5.

    Did nissan get this mixed up? Looks like I should have two blacks for A and C, one green for B and one brown for D. That doesn't match the three reds and a black on the diagram. Could be just color changes over the years.

    Any thoughts on this?

    Thanks

    Eurodat

     

    Screenshot_20190310-124422.jpg

    Screenshot_20190310-124332.jpg

    20190310_122457.jpg

    20190310_122532.jpg

    20190310_122409.jpg

    • Thanks 1

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    I think you may have been looking at the wrong page in the parts manual. (Note I am basing all of my response on the assumption that you are talking about the 5/77 car listed in your signature.)

    The wiring diagram in the copy of the 77 FSM downloaded from XenonZCar shows 3 brown and 1 black for the fusible link blocks and 2 green for the fuel injection.

    77 Fusible Links.jpg

    The page from the parts manual online for the 77/78 that has the fusible link blocks agrees.

    77-78 Fusible Link Part Numbers and Quantities from Parts Manual.jpg

     

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    I dug into the 280 fusible link stuff a little while ago and here's what I determined. First, what the FSM's say...

    The 75 FSM shows two fusible links and says they are black and green.
    The 76 FSM shows four fusible links and says they include three different sizes of links (black, brown, and green).
    The 77 and 78 FSMs shows four fusible links and says they include two different sizes of links (black and brown).

    Note that the above links are the ones bolted to the passenger fender in the little square boxes with the white plastic caps. There is another one (or two in the case of 78) fusible link that comes directly off the battery and is specific to the EFI system. That additional link (or two) is outside the scope of this discussion. I'm just talking the ones in the boxes on the inside fender wall.

    Also, I'm not sure what's up with the "brown" color link. Seems hard to find brown ones, or at least it used to be. I'm not sure if the brown was replaced by red or what, but I've seen more red links than I have brown although brown seems to be making a comeback.

    So about part numbers? When I last looked, the part numbers were as follows:

    FUSIBLE LINK-1.25 - 24161-A0100 - This is the black one
    FUSIBLE LINK-0.5 -  24161-28500 -  This is the green one
    FUSIBLE LINK-0.3  - 24161-Y0100 - This is the brown (or red) one  (supersedes old number 24161-N4200)

    EuroDat, for your 77, it seems you want one black and three brown (or red)

    • Like 1

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    The 77 manual is where I found the differences, and the carpartsmanual website.

    If you look in the 1977 pdf in the download section here you can find the description of the different colors on page 501 or section BE-6. They are different to the wiring diagram in the back on page 680.

    Screenshot_20190312-210114.jpg

     

    The parts list in carpartsmanual has two descriptions.

    1st. (Pos 5& 6) http://www.carpartsmanual.com/datsun/Z-1969-1978/electrical/wiring/engine-room-(from-aug-76)

    Screenshot_20190312-210755.jpgScreenshot_20190312-210829.jpg

     

    2nd. (Pos 18 & 19)  http://www.carpartsmanual.com/datsun/Z-1969-1978/electrical/electric-unit-switch/section-1/280z 

    Screenshot_20190312-212008.jpgScreenshot_20190312-212046.jpg

    • Like 1

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Some backup documentation for the above.

    Pic from a 76 that has excellent condition original labels. Note the link colors:
    76 blocks.jpg

    Pic from my 77 with the links in the correct positions (regardless of the 77 FSM's misleading wiring diagram). I personally used a meter and verified these positions for 77 and 78:
    correct positioning.JPG

    I dug into the specs for the links and determined they (like most of the rest of the Z's electrical infrastructure) was made by Yazaki. Here's a link where you can find specs on much of the Yazaki wires, etc, including the link material:

    http://connectors-catalog.sys.yzk.co.jp/yazaki-web/english/cables/pdf.html

    And since it's easier to discuss without downloading pdf files...

    Specs for the FLWX links. Would be cool if someone could translate into English for me:
    45_FLWX.jpg

    Specs for the FTX links:
    46_FTX.jpg

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    I got a Japanese friend that lives in Hiroshima. I’ll see if he can translate for ya!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    • Like 1

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Sweet! I mean, from an engineering standpoint, I can make out most of it just from the context and units. But it would be a lot easier if it were in English (for me anyway!). LOL

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Chas,

    This pic, and the associated part numbers are the ones that apply to your 77:
    Screenshot_20190312-210755.jpg

     

    It says you need one black link (P/N 24161-A0100) and three "brown" links (P/N 24161-N4200 which has been superseded by 24161-Y0100):

    Screenshot_20190312-210829.jpg

    Just because the chart on page BE-6 lists the specs for three different colors, it doesn't mean that all three colors were actually used. They just copied that chart from the 1976 manual.

     

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    21 hours ago, EuroDat said:

    Back in 2014 I purchased a set of fusible links from my local Nissan dealer. They sourced the parts from Coutesy Nissan.

    Wayne is buzy with an update of his electrical diagram and this was a point of discussion.

    Who is Wayne?  Don't know everyone's name.

    The red versus brown controversy has been around for years, at least ten.  Even more confounding is the internet data out there that suggests that the smaller brown 0.3 mm^2 link is actually a thicker red link capable of more amps, 0.69 mm^2.  The advice is often used for people switching to Maxi-fuses.

    Nissan stuck with brown through many years of FSM.  Somebody decided it was a thicker red link years ago and that advice has been used and abused since then.

    Notice that there is no Brown in the web-link below, and Red appears from nowhere.  There's no Red in any of the FSM's.  Either Nissan chose the wrong color and the wrong cross section, and never fixed it for many years, or somebody made a mistake and never corrected it.

    I've been bringing this up ever since I joined the club.

    http://www.atlanticz.ca/zclub/techtips/fusiblelinks/index.html

    Edited by Zed Head

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    25 minutes ago, Captain Obvious said:

    Some backup documentation for the above.

    Pic from a 76 that has excellent condition original labels. Note the link colors:
    76 blocks.jpg

    Pic from my 77 with the links in the correct positions (regardless of the 77 FSM's misleading wiring diagram). I personally used a meter and verified these positions for 77 and 78:
    correct positioning.JPG

    I thought the wiring diagram at the back of the 77 pdf was incorrect. It shows the black link in the rear fusible link houder. It makes sense that the black link (1.25) would be in the front holder for the fuse block.

    Ps. Captain, Those link holders look new. Very nice.

    It's appears to be confussing for Courtesy Nissan as well. I quoted my build date and VIN number, and they sent the set in the photos.

    • Like 1

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    10 hours ago, SteveJ said:

    The wiring diagram in the copy of the 77 FSM downloaded from XenonZCar shows 3 brown and 1 black for the fusible link blocks and 2 green for the fuel injection.

    77 Fusible Links.jpg

     

    @SteveJ - just to be clear - it appears as though someone may have mixed up files for that site. This snip appears to be for a 1978 model, when Nissan relocated the EFI Relay from inside the cabin (75-77) to the engine compartment (78-beyond to ??)

    I have uploaded the scan of the diagram from the back of my 1977 FSM that I used to create the colored version. It is now in the download section.

    78snip.JPG

    Edited by wal280z
    edit in bold
    • Like 1

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Yer. That would be a right balls up. Swapping the 1.25 for a 0.3.

    Another thing is we keep saying 77 and 78, but as far as I can make out the change happened in August 77 ot there abouts.

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    21 hours ago, EuroDat said:

    In (brackets) are codes on the link insulation. The brown have a different number compared to the manual,. They are brown instead of the original red. That could explain the different part number.

    I probably over-wrote in my other post.  But I think that the short answer is that "there is no Red link".  No "original" red.  

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Chas & others,

    Here are snips from the 1975 & 1976 diagrams.

    1976 snip

    1976snop.JPG

    1975 appears to only have 2 fusible links (besides any EFI fusible links)

    1975snop.JPG

    1976 FSM Wiring Diagram has been uploaded to the download section.

    Thanks to Chas & Capt Obvious for the discussion for me to find these files!

    Wayne

    Edited by wal280z
    edit in bold

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    1 hour ago, Zed Head said:

    Who is Wayne?  Don't know everyone's name

    wal280z

    in his signature line too

    • Like 1

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    2 minutes ago, Patcon said:

    wal280z

    in his signature line too

    I just saw that in his other thread, but it's not in any of the posts before I asked.  And I don't think it's a sig I think that he types int in if he wants to.  And it's not in any of his posts above this one except for the very last one before yours.

    Just arguing minutiae.

    • Haha 1

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    There are several questions interwoven through this thread.  What should Eurodat's fusible links be?  Is Red a thing?  Are the 77 diagrams correct?  Why are CO's Brown links pink?

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Zed Head, The pic you posted from MSA is one of the biggest contributors to the problems with the fusible link locations for 77.

    This diagram is wrong for the 77-78:
    large_fusiblelinkdiagrams.jpg&key=53e01f

    I don't know where it started, but it probably started from the FSM wiring diagram for 1977. Nissan (seemingly) tried to lay the components out on the wiring diagrams kinds-sorta in the same positions they are located on the car. Problem is they screwed up the position of the black link. On the factory wiring diagram in the manual, it has the black link on the fender side back position near the firewall. But on the 77 car (I myself personally verified with a meter) that the black link should be on the fender side FRONT near the headlight.

    So Nissan never really said "This diagram correctly locates the link positions on the car", but it sure can be assumed that's the case.

    Problem is.... It's wrong. And others (like MSA) have been propagating that incorrect assumption ever since.

    • Like 3

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    2 hours ago, EuroDat said:

    Another thing is we keep saying 77 and 78, but as far as I can make out the change happened in August 77 ot there abouts.

    What change? I'm not sure what change you're talking about. The 77 and 78 manuals both look the same as far as the links go.

    If you've got a 77 or 78, the links should look like this:
    77-78links.jpg&key=600e9d6accac5e957e40b

    • Like 2

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    2 hours ago, EuroDat said:

     I can make out the change happened in August 77 ot there abouts.

     

    11 minutes ago, Captain Obvious said:

    What change? I'm not sure what change you're talking about. The 77 and 78 manuals both look the same as far as the links go.

    @Captain Obvious Bruce, I can't read minds, nor do I wish to, that's just a 'B' grade Sci-fi movie mixed with an episode of the Twilight Zone... NO THANKS....

    I do know that for the 1978 model year, that the wiring harness changed with an internally regulated alternator as well as changes in where the fuel injection relays.

    That said, post #12 I posted a snip from the 1978 diagram. Given our off-line conversation regarding the actual location of said fusible links in the 1977, can we assume that the carry-over of the mis-placement in the 1977 diagram to the 1978 diagram? Seem logical. It's happened before.  That said, I don't have a 1978 harness to trace or verify the placement of said links.

     

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    1 hour ago, Captain Obvious said:

    Zed Head, The pic you posted from MSA is one of the biggest contributors to the problems with the fusible link locations for 77.

    This diagram is wrong for the 77-78:
    large_fusiblelinkdiagrams.jpg&key=53e01f

    I don't know where it started, but it probably started from the FSM wiring diagram for 1977. Nissan (seemingly) tried to lay the components out on the wiring diagrams kinds-sorta in the same positions they are located on the car. Problem is they screwed up the position of the black link. On the factory wiring diagram in the manual, it has the black link on the fender side back position near the firewall. But on the 77 car (I myself personally verified with a meter) that the black link should be on the fender side FRONT near the headlight.

    So Nissan never really said "This diagram correctly locates the link positions on the car", but it sure can be assumed that's the case.

    Problem is.... It's wrong. And others (like MSA) have been propagating that incorrect assumption ever since.

    @James@TheZStore  @Joseph@TheZStore

    Maybe one of the ZStore guys can fix it.  

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Create an account or sign in to comment

    You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

    Create an account

    Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

    Register a new account

    Sign in

    Already have an account? Sign in here.

    Sign In Now