IGNORED

70 240z parked 15 years, brakes stuck

z8987

Just now, Patcon said:

Now that's rusty!!!

It's amazing how many parts were still good though.  I am using the mustache bar, aftermarket swaybars and the front crossmember on my race car after I modified the pivot points.  I'm sure there are many others as well that I can't think of at the moment.  ?

• Like 1

I don't have an access point in the back to adjust the brakes.  Is this normal, or do I have some type of aftermarket products?  The one photo you can see the adjuster and also the back where you would access it. 

IMG_8811.JPG

IMG_8810.JPG

If you take a screwdriver and turn this gear up? I think, it will tighten the shoes by spreading them further apart.  First I would pull the emergency brake up a few times.  That should get them tighter.  You'll know by how far the handle comes up after a couple of pulls.  Should be less and less with each pull.

image.png

Edited by siteunseen

3 hours ago, z8987 said:

Ok, I got it. The adjuster is in the front of the wheel.  I got both rear wheels off, took the brakes off cleaned and reinstalled. So I did my first rear brake job.  Old parts, but now I know how.  

Congratulations.  Regarding reinstalling the old shoes: the lining will have significantly hardened/glazed over the years and won't provide a lot of stopping power.  New shoes are pretty cheap and a good investment for your safety (and that of others).  Been there, done that!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jfa.series1 said:

Congratulations.  Regarding reinstalling the old shoes: the lining will have significantly hardened/glazed over the years and won't provide a lot of stopping power.  New shoes are pretty cheap and a good investment for your safety (and that of others).  Been there, done that!

I’ll replace them with new.  I just wanted it back together.  I might continue work on the engine tomorrow.  I think I’ll start blowing out the atf from the cylinders.  What do you  use to turn it over ?  A strap wrench ? 

I've used an old fan belt, like a strap wrench but fits a smaller spot.  If you squeeze the belt together with one hand you can generate solid clamping force on the pulley, kind of like creating a handle on the pulley.  Sometimes you can even pull on the existing fan belt or turn the water pump pulley by hand, or both.

You can also put it in high gear and rock a wheel.