IGNORED

Facebook vs Forums

JSM

A dear friend said to me, jokingly, "I have a very interesting life, and the rest I post on facebook". I have heard it before, but it sums it up well.

For me: Facebook is a social medium and forums for the more technical stuff. I'm not much of a facebooker.

• Like 1

Good topic.  From what I've experienced, Facebook is designed mainly for social activity.  They are funded by selling your information and usage statistics to other companies and advertising.  It's designed mainly for social activities and short-term (surface level) gain.  Forums used to focus on social activity, but the big guys have given this to the masses.  Since this shift has occurred, the forum sites have moved to long-term support, deeper relationships, and archival for the community.  At one time I worried about the social media sites, but, now I am glad they have taken all the riff-raff and so we get to focus on more important issues.

Facebook does have its place, of course.  It just doesn't work for a car club, other than announcing events and keeping in touch.  :)  If you want a deep relationship and real help, join the forum.

Mike

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'm a bit disturbed by the "either or" opinions about FB vs forums. I communicate with friends, family and my Z family in whatever form each of them are comfortable with. We use Messanger, WhatsApp, FB, SMS texting, email, Instagram etc etc. It is a bit hard to remember which 'ding" I've set up for what program, but that's half the fun. 

Now I pretty much don't share anything of my Z or real life or activites on FB. You will never know (or see) what I ate for dinner tonight or how I'm doing on my latest diet, but here is a small list of the real life good things I get from FB. 99% is me soaking up information that is useful to me, it's not about sharing other than some tech advice now and again.

-Huge audience of Datsun lovers. Get to see their projects and hear their challenges, and watch the trends.

-One guy shares all the for sale posts he finds for S30 once a week. Craigs list, BAT etc. 

-Tons of stuff being sold on the various Datsun buy and sell forums. There is surprisingly very little being said about bad sellers (so far).. 

-Keep up with some very cool 510 racers (Like John Morton and Troy Emerish) on the "Vintage Datsun Road Racing" group

-Keep in touch with the Alberta Datsun gang on the more local forums.   

Pretty much all of the recent rusty acquisitions have resulted from the contacts and friends I have made and continue to communicate with both HERE and on one or more of the other platforms I've mentioned. 

Yes you can waste your life sharing crap and chasing "likes" and doing nothing more than feeding the advertisement $$ generator monster on FB or you can use the technology to your advantage by using the parts of it that suit your purpose. Even old dogs can learn new tricks. 

1 hour ago, zKars said:

Yes you can waste your life sharing crap and chasing "likes" and doing nothing more than feeding the advertisement $$ generator monster on FB or you can use the technology to your advantage by using the parts of it that suit your purpose. Even old dogs can learn new tricks. 

I was simply trying a new trick.  Just didn't work out. :) Back to the old!

• 4 weeks later...

Not calling y'all old or anything, but from the perspective of a younger guy,

I hate the intrusions of privacy that Facebook is able to implement, facial recognition on the images that you post (from there associations of who you are hanging around with), location data is sent to them, now they know where you hang out and where you go, conversation that you have are data-mined as well for advertising, where the mouse hovers on the screen thats recorded for "user experience". Not something that I want to contribute to. and like everyone here says, the advised that they give on those sites tends to be half-thought/sub-par at best.

Personally I'd rather just sick around here. 

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, heyitsrama said:

Not calling y'all old or anything, but from the perspective of a younger guy,

I hate the intrusions of privacy that Facebook is able to implement, facial recognition on the images that you post (from there associations of who you are hanging around with), location data is sent to them, now they know where you hang out and where you go, conversation that you have are data-mined as well for advertising, where the mouse hovers on the screen thats recorded for "user experience". Not something that I want to contribute to. and like everyone here says, the advised that they give on those sites tends to be half-thought/sub-par at best.

Personally I'd rather just sick around here. 

I'm an old guy and that is my perspective as well, at some point they are going to use all that information against you.   A bit too  Orwellian for my taste. The search engine I use is https://duckduckgo.com/  they don't track your browsing.

• Like 2