IGNORED

Z cars at the Concours

motorman7

27 minutes ago, motorman7 said:

The comment he made is that some of the nicer VIN’s below S/N 500 are selling for over $100K to private sellers.  That is pretty fascinating.

Great picture!  WOW!  $100K for a non-432 Z.  We all know values for original series-1 cars are rising pretty quickly but I was not aware they had hit that mark.  Being a 3-digit VIN car is a plus but $100K is air cooled turbo Porsche money and knocking on the door of other Italian sports cars. 

Edited by Hardway

• 9 months later...
5 hours ago, SteveJ said:

That's impressive getting the award seeing that there's a 2000GT parked next to you. You faced some stiff competition there. 

Yes, there were some great cars there.   Mike Malamut's Mazda Cosmo took first in the Japanese class.  His Mazda Rebo and a Honda sport coupe were the 2nd and 3rd place winners.  The Judges graded on restoration excellence. 

The 2000 GT was easily the priciest car in the Japanese class and garnered a lot of attention.  I would venture to say that my Z got almost as much attention as the 2000 GT.  The show was very busy which blows my mind since the cost to enter is way high at $70.  I usually attend the free show outside and peek through the fence at the cars inside.  The cars in the show were just insane; Bugatti's old and new, Rolls Royce's and ton of Mercedes, Duesenbergs, McLarens, a 1963 Lola GT that had like an 8 man pit crew prepping it before the show, a charger Super Bird.  I could go on and on.  Amazing cars and a lot of fun.   Glad the 240Z was well received.

Oh, one other cool thing happening here:  the Petersen Museum in LA ( https://www.petersen.org/) is doing a year long exhibition starting in May contrasting Japanese and US car design styles.  They asked if my roadster was available to present as part of the display, so I will be loaning that out to them for a year.  Nice to see the Japanese cars getting some visibility.  Also nice to get some free storage :).  I need space

• Like 4

Great job.  Its good to see the old Datsun finally getting some respect.  In high school, my first car was a '73.  Everyone loved the big low compression cars of the mid '70s.  They were big and had big engines, but they didn't move too fast.  There were only two people that appreciated my old 240z.  My girlfriend at the time (now my wife) and myself.

• 9 months later...