IGNORED

What Electric Fuel Pump upgrade???

bluezcrazy

Found some references you may be interested in reading.  Information about a bracket to hold the electric pump and it applies to both SU's and Triple carb setups.

They also reference a great write-up by Dave on his 1972 modification.  Looks like he went with the Airtex.

http://jarvas240z.blogspot.com/2013/01/electric-fuel-pump-installation.html

• 5 months later...

The clamps you're using will work fine although they're not as good as the F.I. rated clamps. Looking at the pics, I don't think the problem was the clamps it likely the hose. Cliff (Siteunseen) mentioned in another thread, (on the same subject) that the line you're using isn't rated for gasoline, although I haven't verified that. I trust Cliff. Replace all the flexible fuel lines with the proper hose and reroute the new hose so it doesn't touch or rub on any bodywork. Pics when you get it done. 

• Thanks 1

i have this carter 4070, and all i can hear is the damn fuel pump through the mount and the chassis, ive been debating if i should throw a layer of dynamat between the OEM mount and the chassis to attempt to muffle it. The airtech seems to be better, does anyone have a video, (or better a decibel rating?) ?  the nismo one looks just like an OEM pump!

2 hours ago, Zed Head said:

Most electric pumps come with a piece of rubber to wrap around the pump and isolate it from the body.  How is yours mounted?

its mounted to the OEM mount for a 260z, IMG_0001.jpg

i added some sound insulation between the OEM mount and the chassis, i did not see any difference in the decibel rating.

https://www.amazon.com/Noico-deadening-Automotive-Insulation-dampening/dp/B00URUIKAK/ref=sr_1_6?keywords=sound+insulator&qid=1574741161&sr=8-6

I added this to the doors and its way less tinny. I think the issue is that when you torque the bolts down between the chassis and the mount it squeezes it out.

The following results are with the car running.

pre-installation

IMG_1256.PNG

Post-installation

IMG_1259.PNGwAAACH5BAEKAAAALAAAAAABAAEAAAICRAEAOw==

Im curious to see what an airtex gets, the name of this app is "Decibel X" its free on iphones (skip the payment screen)

Although by the looks of it, anything after 2khz appears to be more muted......

Maybe it is quieter, i got a bunch of fuel in my face when i dropped the fuel hose, might have effected my hearing. ?

Edited by heyitsrama

12 hours ago, heyitsrama said:

i have this carter 4070, and all i can hear is the damn fuel pump through the mount and the chassis, ive been debating if i should throw a layer of dynamat between the OEM mount and the chassis to attempt to muffle it. The airtech seems to be better, does anyone have a video, (or better a decibel rating?) ?  the nismo one looks just like an OEM pump!

Many people have used the fuel pump from a 1st gen RX7 to reduce the pump noise. Although I haven't put one on a Z, I can verify our 81 RX7's pump is virtually silent.

17 hours ago, siteunseen said:

I've read lower psi hydraulic hose will work with fuel but not recommended for long term. 250 psi has a different rubber compund than 1400 psi. After seeing Jalex's photos I believe that. LOL

Why take the chance...

this is not a fuel hose! I should replace all of these hoses in my car. Anyone has a list of the hoses, diameter and sizes for 1972 240z

IMG-20191126-WA0128.jpeg

5 hours ago, jalexquijano said:

this is not a fuel hose! I should replace all of these hoses in my car. Anyone has a list of the hoses, diameter and sizes for 1972 240z

TLDS:

10 hours ago, Mark Maras said:

Many people have used the fuel pump from a 1st gen RX7 to reduce the pump noise. Although I haven't put one on a Z, I can verify our 81 RX7's pump is virtually silent.

ill check it out, maybe can find one for a good price.... really want to hear it before i spend the money, i guess it good to have a backup for long distance driving etc.

My personal favorite. Other than the correct pressure range, 35 gph flowrate, proven quiet operation, threaded fittings (no hose clamps), years of good service in several vehicles, a remarkable resemblence to the OEM pump, it also has an internal filter.

https://www.facet-purolator.com/gold-flo/

6B3C7F6A-2A09-4C8C-A13B-27AAAF9CC80B-334-00000039CD6830AF.png

Specifically the 40002E with these specs

IMG_3990.PNG

https://www.facet-purolator.com/tech-information/

• Like 3