IGNORED

Z's on BAT and other places collection

Zed Head

28 minutes ago, Terrapin Z said:

From my collection, pics of 73 240's 6 digit vin plates, and a 75-76 280 which is embossed not engraved. 

It looks like a 280 washer bottle too. There is no mount surface for the ID plate. Odd

138310 is a re vin'ed 70 as a 73 rivets show the re tag

IMG_3451.jpg

IMG_3450.jpg

IMG_3449.jpg

IMG_3448.jpg

See, I thought I had a problem because I have SO many Datsun parts...

I am so relieved now! ROFLROFL

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Zed Head said:

I'll send those guys a message showing where to find the real VIN.  Let's see how far the rebadger went.

Wow. OK, so now it has moved from "clearly wrong" into "illegal". I believe it's exactly as you suggested... Someone decided they would rather own a 72 than a 76, so they took the plates off a 76 and stuck the 72 plates on in their place. That 72 dash plate clearly does not fit in the spot in the dash.

So what is there to do if the VIN on the firewall DOES somehow match the VIN on the dash and door jamb? Based on the work someone put into the fraud, I suspect the firewall WILL match. At this point, t would seem unlikely to me that someone going to that level of thoroughness would not have left the firewall unmolested. I bet they cut out the original VIN area and welded the other one in instead? Or maybe they just welded over it?

Woof. Comes back to the philosophical question of "So what is it that 'defines' a car?"

1 hour ago, Patcon said:

See, I thought I had a problem because I have SO many Datsun parts...

I am so relieved now! ROFLROFL

Ha Ha, I just put this room together, not a problem if you have the space for it. All a worthy cause. I could collect Magic the Gathering cards.....Not 💤

• Haha 1

Edit - found one, and sent it.  Odds are that they'll realize the numbers don't match and I won't hear back.  Who knows.

Does anybody have a picture of the VIN stamped in to the firewall that I could pass along to Beverly Hills Auto, to show where to look?  I have searched the web but can't find a good one.  It's surprising, especially after this discussion how none of the BAT cars have that VIN shown, even though it's the most difficult of the ID's to change.  I've sent illustrations of where it should be but a real picture would help.  They don't know these cars.

Beverly Hills is helpful, they asked if the engine block number was it, and sent a picture.  Which shows an L28 engine block, of course.

p.s. thanks @zeeboost and @lonetreesteve for letting me run with your starts.  I like a good project.  The Beverly Hill group actually has a lot of neat cars, I think that they're just a consignment shop that is still learning.

Edited by Zed Head

This rusty 240/280 looks like someone had a rusted or otherwise unusable 240, with a clean title, and an otherwise decent 280, with no title, and used the 240 ID plates and title to make a “legitimate” car.

Then rust happened to the newer car.