IGNORED

Barn find 73 in North Alabama

outlawswine

3 minutes ago, jonathanrussell said:

It is interesting that the lash pad marks are in different places in the total rotation. To me this means that for some period of years the car would sit for a long time untouched and then someone would try to start it, rinse, repeat.

@jonathanrussell Holy crap, EXCELLENT observation. That is exactly what happened. When my grandfather quit driving it, which he rarely did anyway, he would go crank it every now and then (very rarely). He did this for about 3 years then just quit and let it sit. 

@jonathanrussell

Excellent post on how to go forward from here.

@outlawswine @siteunseen 

Thanks for the kind words.

My 73 was in a very similar condition to yours when I started.

Dings down both sides of the car, crappy Weber downdraft carbs, lots of non-original stuff and it barely ran at all.

For sure follow @motorman7 

He is restoring a 73 to original (better than) condition. His photo essay is definitive in proper restoration and is a true inspiration to anyone with a Z and a desire to make it better. While he is doing it "stock", many of his examples of work areas would apply to any basic refreshing.

If you really want to go extreme you could revert to the "boat anchors" and join our small bunch of aficionados. (just kidding-----well---- sorta)

• Like 3

So great news! I took the plugs out and put some Marvel Mystery Oil in there. Let it sit for a day or so and added a bit more. Took the old belt off and was able to turn the crank by hand after a couple of seconds. The motor turns over very smoothly.

I have decided to just go ahead and replace everything associated with liquid (water and fuel hoses, lines etc). Now just have to wait for a whole bunch of parts to come in (belt, hoses, fuel lines, filter, vacuum lines, plugs, wires, cap, rotor, points, etc etc). Dropping the fuel tank and pulling the radiator today to have them cleaned out next week at a local radiator shop. Hopefully get the carbs cleaned up next week as well.  Maybe in a couple of weeks I may can see if she'll fire up on her on.......maybe.

FYI - Interior that has been sitting for 25 years has an unusual funk smell to it. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, outlawswine said:

FYI - Interior that has been sitting for 25 years has an unusual funk smell to it. 

That's old car smell..... Otherwise, rip out all of the odor retaining fabrics, wash or replace as needed.

Note - fabrics can include but are not limited to: carpet, jute (carpet backing and sound insulation), seat foam......

Personally, I think it add character....  I mean, I've showered for all these years and still can't get rid of the funk that follows me...

Wayne

• Haha 2