IGNORED

Just what the Doctor ordered. 1977 280z

grannyknot

4 minutes ago, Zed Head said:

Does zinc plating add much thickness?  Just envisioning a really sucky scenario.

I don't see the scissors jack, or tire iron....

It can. Time and current determines total zinc transfer. I have over plated fasteners before and it can make reassembly difficult.

Those plated parts look great. I really wish I had a line on someone near me that would do that sort of thing... Fixed price for a bucket.

Did you do a lot of pre-plating prep cleanup? Degreasing? Wire wheeling, etc?

Also, if that's the worst exhaust valve, you're golden! On some of the engines I've been into, I would have been absolutely thrilled to see something that nice!

7 hours ago, Captain Obvious said:

Did you do a lot of pre-plating prep cleanup? Degreasing? Wire wheeling, etc?

Yes, on all the showy/visible parts I cleaned, wire wheeled and buffed them, also I asked him to wire hang those showy parts rather than barrel plate them, so he had to charge me a bit more. All the nuts, bolts and common stuff was barrel plated.

8 hours ago, Zed Head said:

Does zinc plating add much thickness?  Just envisioning a really sucky scenario.

I don't see the scissors jack, or tire iron....

It sure can, in fact the main throttle shaft is so thick now that it won't go through the bushings in the intake manifold and as pretty as these parts are I have to take them back and have him re do them.

IMG_0984.JPG

1 hour ago, Zed Head said:

Can't you take a bit off with some Scothbrite, then repolish?  Or you could ream the bushing.  Just thinking...

He said he would redo anything at no charge, I'll see if he will let me take some pics of the plating shop when I go to pick up the shaft,      scary looking place, foul smelling, perfect for a horror flick.

15 hours ago, grannyknot said:

It sure can, in fact the main throttle shaft is so thick now that it won't go through the bushings in the intake manifold and as pretty as these parts are I have to take them back and have him re do them.

That's no fun! The plating does look good though

3 hours ago, Zed Head said:

Can't you take a bit off with some Scothbrite, then repolish? 

If you scrub on them you will take off the yellow chromate and they will get powdery and dull as the zinc oxidizes

23 hours ago, Captain Obvious said:

I really wish I had a line on someone near me that would do that sort of thing... Fixed price for a bucket.

There is a plating shop near me that has a minimum charge. They try to work with small retail customers. I would think there is someone near you that does the same kind of thing

Frankford Plating or Precision Chrome, maybe

• 2 weeks later...

I picked up the gas tank from the acid dippers today, in addition to the rust it had a layer of Red Kote, so I took the easy expensive route.  One thing about having your car or tank dipped, there is something about the process that turns lead solder to liquid, I don't know if it is the heat or the chemicals  but I have noticed twice now a pool of hardened solder beneath a joint that had been smoothly soldered.

You can see how rough the solder is after dipping, so make sure you save a bit of your tank sealer so you can apply it to the outside as well around those soldered joints. Also got the pedal box disassembled, cleaned and painted.

IMG_1018.JPG

IMG_1019.JPG

IMG_1022.JPG

IMG_1026.JPG

• Like 1