IGNORED

Just what the Doctor ordered. 1977 280z

grannyknot

Found this 280z on kijiji and unlike almost every project car I buy this one has had the rust repaired, body and paint already  done (although I'm still going to tear it down). 106,000 miles, previous owner had it for 26 yrs and only drove it 3000 miles. Matching numbers engine and as far as I can tell, no modifications of any kind. I'm thinking I may keep it stock, the engine runs beautifully, pulls 15-16 in.Hg vacuum steady at a warm idle and the compression #s are very consistent. Interior is old and dirty, rubber seals and weatherstripping are shot and need replacing, lots to keep me busy.

I know practically nothing about the 280's engine management so will have lots of questions.

IMG_0642.JPGIMG_0646.JPGIMG_0655.JPGEngine bay is a disaster, much detailing to be done.

IMG_0658.JPG

IMG_0657.JPG

IMG_0708.JPG

Very original looking brake fluid, vintage!

IMG_0694.JPG

A new little sister for the ///MZ,

IMG_0713.JPG

Looks great.  The bumper rubber looks like 1978 though.  Engine management and fuel pump control are slightly different in 78.  78 has two prongs on the oil pressure sender, one prong is a switch.

The only thing that isn't working is that I can't start it with the  key, I have to turn the key on and use a remote momentary switch attached to the starter. The 77 wiring diagram is a lot different than the 70-72 Z's I'm use to.

58 minutes ago, SoCalJim said:

Where can I get some vintage brake fluid for my vintage Z? 

I'll sell you the black gold that's in there now and throw in the clutch fluid for free. ?

IMG_0695.JPG

20 hours ago, Zed Head said:

The bumper rubber looks like 1978

77 and 78 used the same bumper rubber. It's what was on my 77.

What a find! looks really good so far. Definitely need the rubber boot between the afm and throttle body. The efi is a simple system once you have an understanding of it. Lots of knowledgeable people on this site.

Those compression numbers look great!  

47 minutes ago, rcb280z said:

Those compression numbers look great!  

Yes I'm very happy with the condition of the engine, I opened it up today to adjust the valves, just a couple were out. Some pretty heavy oil varnish going on in there.  The cam lobes all look good. Got the key working again to start the engine, one of the 2 black relays up under the dash on the P/S was dead so switched them around.

1977 wiring harness diagram; does anyone make accurate  large wiring diagram like 11"x 17" sheet that you can hold in your hands?

IMG_0717.JPG

IMG_0719.JPG

IMG_0724.JPG

Edited by grannyknot

Here's a good one in pdf format.  Good old Blue246...

http://www.atlanticz.ca/zclub/techtips/electrical.htm

Oddly, it's not in the CZCC Download area but it says it's a CZCC diagram.

Edit - actually it is but you have to read the fine print.  https://www.classiczcars.com/files/category/1-wiring-diagrams/

Edited by Zed Head
  • Like 1