IGNORED

Brake upgrade

Tim 240z

3 hours ago, grannyknot said:

Yes, the spacer goes on the outside of the brake disc so it will move the wheel and tire farther out so it might hit your fender lip more often.  You could roll the lip on the fender or you might have to install a spacer at the top of the spring, if you have coil overs then just screw the adjuster up a few turns.

No, this is not quite correct. The spacer does go outside the rotor, but it goes BEHIND the hub and only moves the shallower Toyota rotor inboard to align with the caliper.  The spacers do nothing to the wheel/tire position.

Edited by Jeff G 78
clarification

12 minutes ago, jalexquijano said:

Do you really need to upgrade to rear brake discs and pads in place of the drum brakes? I use my car only on satursdays and sundays. 

No, the drums are fine for most applications.  Most rear disc upgrades provide no additional stopping performance over well functioning drums.

Hi All,

So, one vote yes to the wheel hub position moving out and one vote no, same position with the spacer. Anyone on- line preformed the vented rotor and Toyota caliber upgrade on a stock 240Z brake and wheel assembly? 

Thanks for the info.

Andrew 

1 hour ago, Blitzed said:

Hi All,

So, one vote yes to the wheel hub position moving out and one vote no, same position with the spacer. Anyone on- line preformed the vented rotor and Toyota caliber upgrade on a stock 240Z brake and wheel assembly? 

Thanks for the info.

Andrew 

Trust me, the wheel does not move out.  The rotor bolts to the back side of the hub rather than the front of the hub, so the spacer has zero effect on the hub face.  It simply positions the rotor.  There are about a thousand google images online showing the upgrade.

EDIT: Here is a link to one of the many conversion kits.  Scroll through the pics where you can clearly see where the spacer goes.  https://www.silverminemotors.com/datsun/datsun-280z/brake-upgrades/front-big-brake-kit-stage-4

Edited by Jeff G 78
Added link
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, jalexquijano said:

Im experiencing some strong noise whenever i step on the brakes coming from the rear drums. Should i remove the wheels and inspect the shoes are not worn or use 80 sanding paper on them?

Please refer to my response from when you asked the same question a few weeks ago.

Deja Vu all over, again.

Dennis

• Like 2

1 minute ago, wil84911 said:

Can anyone provide either carbotech or porterfeld part numbers for toyota fronts and stock rear drums. 

No, but just call Livermore Performance Inc.  They don't show a P/N for that application, but can supply anything you need.  They are super easy to work with and a top notch company.  I've bought Porterfield pads many times from them for my endurance racer Z and they are very helpful.  http://www.livermoreperformance.com/

• Like 1