IGNORED

Engine rough running - at wits end

the_tool_man

I quickly tried it, very low pressure air, could hear leak but could not see any bubbles from water/soap.

Yes too much pressure and I suppose you could blow out a seal (front or back). I will post up if I develop a massive oil leak.

well tried cigar smoke same deal, plugged up the tail pipe and air filter. turns out I had a leak just after the AFM, tighen up the hose clame and will try again. Have to wait a bit for the taste of the cigar to get out, yuck.

I wonder if you could spray the engine with soapy water and make bubbles like you do for a hole in a tire.  I tried some of that plumber's leak finder solution to try to find an exhaust leak but things got hot too fast and it just dried up.

The fog machine seems to work for many different purposes.  To CO's point on the open valves letting pressure out, the closed valve cylinders will have dead-air  no-flow zones in the runners.  Probably worthwhile to let the fog  flow for a while to let any small leaks let the fog flow in eventually.  You could miss a small leak if you're n a hurry.

I tried the soapy water, did not see bubbles but did not spray near the AFM where the smoke was leaking. The cigar trick worked very well.

helps to have someone else looking and using a flash light inside with no wind.

Edited by Dave WM

No video. But a few photos after a fluid change and wash. I drove it around my neighborhood for about 15 minutes and it runs pretty good. I need to do a thorough tune up and bleed the brakes before I drive it much. But I couldn't resist a shakedown drive. The only thing I can find wrong is a burned out license plate bulb and the power antenna is inoperative.
IMG_20170309_184316492.jpegIMG_20170309_184336093.jpeg

Sent from my XT1254 using Classic Zcar Club mobile

• Like 1

Over the weekend I changed fluids, set the timing and tied up a few loose ends in the engine room. Vacuum holds at 15 at idle. Still a tad low (I'm just gonna have to replace all the vacuum hoses and be sure). It would hesitate at times under acceleration. But it's been running fairly well. Then tonight I took it out for a longer drive. After a few miles it started to bog really badly around 3k rpm. It would occasionally backfire out the tailpipe too. It only does it while driving. It revs fine in the shop. I figure it's rust from the fuel tank getting sucked up while in motion. So I guess it's time to drop the fuel tank and have it cleaned and coated.

On to the next layer of the onion.

Sent from my XT1254 using Classic Zcar Club mobile