IGNORED

How much should I pay for this 240z?

hal17v

Hey I will post pictures soon, but I was wondering how much I should pay for this 1971 240z:

CONS

Motor not running as of now

Bad paint

Cracked dash

Needs new tyres

Needs electrical work 

High miles

PROS

Neighbor

Old racer with roll cage and back seats taken out

Extra transmission ( I'm most definite) lying around

Asked how much I want to pay

Thanks for any comments 

IMG_0360.PNG

IMG_0362.PNG

Edited by hal17v
added pics

Can't even venture a guess without knowing what you want it to be when it's done.  But it sounds interesting.  Is it a race engine?  Race transmission?  Race diff (limited slip)?

If you trust your neighbor why not negotiate a number that he'll be happy with.  He'll probably end up at your place helping you put it back together anyway.

Tyres, not tires?  Are you from the U.K.?

12 minutes ago, hal17v said:

drift

You'd probably be better of with a 240SX or a Toyota Corolla.  The Z's don't drift well withhold some modifications.  They're too balanced.

Also, as far as I can tell, back seats didn't show up until the 260Z.  Sounds like an interesting car, but you might not enjoy it.

Worth is subjective.  You haven't given enough information for anyone out here to make an offer.  That's what I would do.  Post some pictures, get as much information as you can and ask what someone out here might pay for it, if you bought it and decided to resell.  Then you'll now where you stand.  If you change your mind, you'll know how much profit or loss you might get.

Everything wrong with this car is typical of all unrestored Zs. The one thing that affects the value the most isn't mentioned in the list. What condition is the body in? Rust is the enemy. Any rust you can easily see is just the tip of the iceberg. Mechanical work on a Z is a walk in the park compared to "rustoration". If the body is sound, it would certainly be worth $2000.00. It could also be worth as little as $500.00 if it needs a lot of rust repair. Choose wisely. Many people have become overwhelmed when they opened up their Z and realized the amount of rust in a it. It's hard to stay motivated when you keep finding more and more rust.

Tough to tell without pictures, but based on everything you listed in the cons, my answer would be "not much."  If you forced me to come up with a number, I'll go with something around $1500, but that also comes with the caveat that the buyer pool is likely to be pretty small.  A car that isn't running, has electrical problems, has a cage, and was used as a racecar is going to scare away a lot of people, even if it's rust free.