IGNORED

Rack and pinion U-bolt clamp ? 71Z

timsz

Crhis,

You are welcome. It would be interesting if someone would look at the clamp on their car to see how close the rubber is to the crossmember. Good observation, maybe to be effective it should be closer to the crossmember because it would kick in sooner that way.

Hi,

Mike's post#17 - lower picture - estimates the distance at 4mm.

Cheers,

George

I didn't think of this until after I saw grannyknot's eBay picture of the clamp showing what appears to me that the rubber block on the clamp is supposed to be in contact the crossmember but I am aware that the parts car in the pictures I posted got hit on the right front wheel good enough to require new front wheels. It also was enough to bend the front frame rails. I guess it is possible that the impact turned the clamp and changed the rubber clearance. The clamp shows no sign of damage and the steering rack looks okay.

Edited by Mikes Z car

Chas, you actually scrolled that far down in the pics? The steering rack was the only thing on that car the owner didn't screw up. For everyone else this is what we are talking about,http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/open-s30-z-discussions/51092-kinda-doubt-guy-will-even-get-his-starting-bid.html

Here is my version of the clamp, not as elegant as the original but it should do the job, just have to dig up a U-bolt now.

post-26437-1415082685465_thumb.jpg

Chas, you actually scrolled that far down in the pics? The steering rack was the only thing on that car the owner didn't screw up. For everyone else this is what we are talking about,http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/open-s30-z-discussions/51092-kinda-doubt-guy-will-even-get-his-starting-bid.html

Here is my version of the clamp, not as elegant as the original but it should do the job, just have to dig up a U-bolt now.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]68349[/ATTACH]

Slick and innovative! Nice work.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]68349[/ATTACH]

Chris,

Looks great. should do the trick nicely.

Chas, you actually scrolled that far down in the pics?

when I read he had 100 photo's curiosity got the better of me:bunny:

Chas

Really nice work!

When my car was put back together, I noticed that a gap of about 4mm was, also, left between the rubber bumper block

and crossmember. Pierre-Z in Hawthorn, CA did the work, and was one of the primary restoration contractors used for the factory restoration project.

I mention this only because he may have been following, and held to, correct and required factory installation tolerances.

I was wondering if one of the rubber donut hood bumpers would work in place of the rubber block. Just a thought for a possibly easy option in

place of the original rubber block.

Edited by AZ-240z

• 1 year later...