IGNORED

Engine Block Breather Tube Installation

texasz

Ok, so I know that this is supposed to be a press fitting yet it is not working out that way.  The pipe is too small to fit snugly into the hole (see here:  https://photos.app.goo.gl/2HYFBuU5VDL6rRxS9).  Does anyone have any ideas? 

The only think I came up with was a pipe expansion tool to make the tube a little larger to fit snugly...problem is I do not have such a tool.

Have you tried seating the pipe with some encouragement with a rubber mallet? That is the usual process.  I see some shiny area not painted, I presume there is not a shoulder ridge in the metal where the painted surface begins.

20 minutes ago, jfa.series1 said:

Have you tried seating the pipe with some encouragement with a rubber mallet? That is the usual process.  I see some shiny area not painted, I presume there is not a shoulder ridge in the metal where the painted surface begins.

I did attempt this with a 3 lb hammer and no luck.

26 minutes ago, Yarb said:

Is this the same tube that came from the block. Looks like it’s been cleaned and painted 

No it is not the same that came out of it.  This is the tube from an L24 and the engine is an L28.

7 hours ago, Yarb said:

@terrapinz

I'll look after work, but I think I only have the 240 tube. 

The 240z has the extra nipple, and the 280z does not. Sound correct. 

I stole these pic's from eBay for the clarification. 

Tube.jpeg

240 tube.jpeg

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

All the 240 and 280 tubes I have are the same OD, 0.99  or 0.985. All look the same on the end.

The measurement I made is of the larger OD, beyond the short initial step. They are not tapered. 

IMG_8894.jpeg

IMG_8895.jpeg

Edited by zKars

Posted (edited)

There is another style of these breather tubes used on early cars that came to Canada (and other markets) that had non emission engines. It does not have the small nipple. Here is a pic of the engine from my 7/70 Canadian market car, engine number is L24-010178.

20240307_081129.jpg

Edited by CanTechZ
  • Like 1