IGNORED

how to protect fenders when working in the engine compartment

z8987

15 minutes ago, z8987 said:

How do you protect your fenders paint etc when working in the engine compartment ? 

I use a Studebaker mechanic's fender protector that I've had for decades.  You can get a Summit Racing one here:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-3619?seid=srese1&gclid=CjwKCAiA0KmPBhBqEiwAJqKK4_3wvyOTSMops8wieCQvdKZVA8EBRKX_WeZ4JRrt1wVBMQJZr_rWBBoCu-8QAvD_BwE

I bought some paint dropcloths, runners is what they call the size I bought. When I'm leaning on those tin can fenders I put the hardest carboard in between the dropcloths, sandwich style. 

I want nice fender protectors but that was cheap for me at the moment. Now I don't need anything since I'm done.

Found some pics...

1460756579343.thumb.jpg.395f55085db0234199f5ef9c898eebde.jpg

1460756475901.thumb.jpg.9526b19993e5864977496b4d889ef993.jpg

Edited by siteunseen

I use regular fender covers, and gaffer’s tape to hold them from slipping. 

I found the type with magnets would get bits of metal on them, and it would scratch the finish.

I also try to avoid leaning on the fenders, as they dent quite easily.

Edited by Racer X
  • Like 1

I bought a universal front end cover and cut it to fit my car.  I really like that it stays put. I cut it so that it drapes inside the fender a bit. Also note that even my windshiled is protected, but I did have to cut it to allow the doors to open.

https://www.calcarcover.com/product/fender-gripper-universal-front-end-cover-fec2607/3169

(Mine is much older than the one in the link. Buts still a Fender Gripper)

Now... if I could only get around to putting the engine back together and get this car running. It has been too many years. 

IMG_0954.JPG

IMG_1014.JPG

Edited by 240Z-Fan
  • Like 3