IGNORED

Arizona Z Emissions Check?

Jeff G 78

Hey Z gang,

I am planning on moving from Michigan to Phoenix this year and I just checked what model years require E Check in Maricopa county.  I was really surprised to see that anything 1967 and newer must pass emissions.  What are the Phoenix Z owners doing and do your cars pass?  My Z has a 9.8:1 CR with stock EFI, an AZC 6:1 header and MSA premium exhaust.  The car was sold as a Federal model for leaded gas and no catalyst when new.  

Jeff,

I registered my 240 in Arizona (northwest Phoenix) from out of State in 2008 (up until the current day) and just required an initial cursory visual inspection (lights, horn, etc.) by the Arizona MVD. In fact the inspector just walked around the car with his clipboard checking boxes and nodding - I didn't even have to open the hood. No smog test was (or has ever been) required, provided you are able to produce proof of vintage/collector vehicle insurance. See this article for more information https://tucson.com/news/local/govt-and-politics/got-collector-car-insurance-smog-test-no-longer-needed/article_b1903320-9fcd-5e1b-b56f-ccaafa538bf6.html

Hope this helps.    Just remember... it's a dry heat...

6 hours ago, Persimmon240 said:

Jeff,

I registered my 240 in Arizona (northwest Phoenix) from out of State in 2008 (up until the current day) and just required an initial cursory visual inspection (lights, horn, etc.) by the Arizona MVD. In fact the inspector just walked around the car with his clipboard checking boxes and nodding - I didn't even have to open the hood. No smog test was (or has ever been) required, provided you are able to produce proof of vintage/collector vehicle insurance. See this article for more information https://tucson.com/news/local/govt-and-politics/got-collector-car-insurance-smog-test-no-longer-needed/article_b1903320-9fcd-5e1b-b56f-ccaafa538bf6.html

Hope this helps.    Just remember... it's a dry heat...

Thanks for the feedback.  Are you in Maricopa county?  I'm likely going to end up in Sun City West or maybe Surprise.  A quick search before I posted last night confirmed Pima county does not require E Check, but I didn't see anything about collector car/historic car exemptions in Maricopa.  It's good to hear that's the case.  

A lot still has to happen to get out there quickly, but if all goes perfectly, it could be in the next two months.  I just sold my house and will know in a few weeks if I have a job out there.

The roads here in Michigan are horrid.  Not only are they in terrible shape and destroy cars, they are dead straight and boring.  On top of that, I have to store my Z six months out of the year and even when not stored, I don't drive it in the rain.  That leaves very few days when I can even drive it on the crappy roads.  This is pretty much why I quit driving my Z.  I drove it one summer and when fall came, I put it on dollies, covered it and pushed it into the corner of the garage.  It hasn't moved since and that was 10 years ago.  My 260Z race car got all the attention and filled the garage spot where the 280Z used to sit in the summers.  I can't wait to get my Z into an area with smooth roads and mountains mearby.  It will split daily driver duties with my 996 out there.  I will reinstall the A/C and get that working for sure.  I hate the cold and do just fine in the heat so I can't wait to get away from single digit temps.

Is there still a big Datsun presence in Phoenix?  I know there used to be years ago. 

I'll IM you when it's time to move so I can learn more about getting all my vehicles inspected and checked.  We'll have to get together.  Are you there year round or just in the winter?

I am in Maricopa county I have Grundy classic car insurance for my 78 I have never had my car to the mvd or to emissions check but maybe I didn’t need an inspection because my title was transferred to me in state.
Check out desertdatsuns.net that’s a local group with a good amount of datsuns of all sorts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Persimmon240 said:

Good luck with your relocation plans - we could end up being neighbors. If you do end up in SCW, check out the Auto Restoration Club (ARC). As far as clubs go in the Phoenix area there is also the Desert Z Association. Yes, we are Snowbirds - but not this year.

My mom and sister currently live in SCW and I turned 55, so I can live there now.  Yes, the Auto Restoration, metal shop and wood shop are high on my list.  Besides my cars, I am always doing woodworking projects.  With no basements, there won't be any room for my woodworking equipment.  I'd love to find a house with a 3 car garage, but in the size and price I'm wanting, that might be tough.  With no 3rd garage, the Z will likely live in a storage garage.

3 points:

#1. It's China

Digression:  In Canada, we have a psycho Govt taxing the hell out of everything to save the planet. If Canada was disintegrated it would only eliminate 1.7% of the earth's emissions.

image.png

#2 It's Water:

image.png

#3 It's Natural

Digression: Non-Religions use dinosaur fossil evidence to dispute religious records that is counter-argued by fanatics, however the Non-Religious using the argument often deny science by thinking a green car, or buy local can stop the Earth and Solar system's cycles that build, change, and destroy planets.   I wonder if our ancestors could have prevented the build up of 3km of Ice over North America jut 20,000 years ago?  I wonder why now we are trying to stop it from its melting for the last 20,000 years?

image.png

Our emissions are not good but they are not the driver.  Temp cycles have been mapped for nearly 1M years and it gets hot and cold.  Notice the steep transition from cold to hot.

#Bonus:  It's not CO2 it is N20 and farming: https://theconversation.com/meet-n2o-the-greenhouse-gas-300-times-worse-than-co2-35204

PumpTalk - Petro-Canada: Compliance with Ontario's Federal Carbon Tax  Transparency Act

Edited by 240260280
  • Like 1

On 1/31/2021 at 6:13 AM, Jeff G 78 said:

Thanks for the feedback.  Are you in Maricopa county?  I'm likely going to end up in Sun City West or maybe Surprise.  A quick search before I posted last night confirmed Pima county does not require E Check, but I didn't see anything about collector car/historic car exemptions in Maricopa.  It's good to hear that's the case.  

A lot still has to happen to get out there quickly, but if all goes perfectly, it could be in the next two months.  I just sold my house and will know in a few weeks if I have a job out there.

The roads here in Michigan are horrid.  Not only are they in terrible shape and destroy cars, they are dead straight and boring.  On top of that, I have to store my Z six months out of the year and even when not stored, I don't drive it in the rain.  That leaves very few days when I can even drive it on the crappy roads.  This is pretty much why I quit driving my Z.  I drove it one summer and when fall came, I put it on dollies, covered it and pushed it into the corner of the garage.  It hasn't moved since and that was 10 years ago.  My 260Z race car got all the attention and filled the garage spot where the 280Z used to sit in the summers.  I can't wait to get my Z into an area with smooth roads and mountains mearby.  It will split daily driver duties with my 996 out there.  I will reinstall the A/C and get that working for sure.  I hate the cold and do just fine in the heat so I can't wait to get away from single digit temps.

Is there still a big Datsun presence in Phoenix?  I know there used to be years ago. 

I'll IM you when it's time to move so I can learn more about getting all my vehicles inspected and checked.  We'll have to get together.  Are you there year round or just in the winter?

Don't fret. The emissions regs here in Maricopa County aren't hard to meet for any decent running Z car. If you have collectors or vintage car insurance, there is no emissions test requirement to register.  Most of the Datsun owners here go that route. I don't because: A. I daily drive my 260Z (specs below) B. It's stupidly easy for my Z to get through emissions. 

IF you don't want to go the collector insurance route you'll need to do an emissions roller test every year and it's the same test from when they first started this thing. My 1974 doesn't require a look under the hood, but my son's 1976 280Z does. They want to make sure all the emissions control stuff is there and working but most of them don't know what should or shouldn't be there in the first place so they just check you carbon canister and the vacuum hoses for the most part. My '74 does a roller test that is maintaining a 30MPH speed for the first segment and then idle. The later test is almost the same but they vary the speed during the test. The standards for HC and NOX are fairly lax here and not difficult to meet.

I haven't brought an out-of-state titled vehicle into Arizona for quite some time, but AZ is fairly laid-back about such things. They don't require plumbers to be licensed by the state, it's right-to-work, any non-felon over the age of 21 can concealed carry without a CCW permit - but you can get one if you want,  we have drive-thru liquor stores (something I NEVER saw growing up in Idaho...), AND the Dunkin Doughnuts no longer gets robbed once a week like they used to in the 1970's...

Once you get here, check out Desert Datsuns (desertdatsuns.net) - not really a club per se, but a group of Datsun nuts here in the Phoenix area (although most of them are In the North and East Valley, a few on the West side). If you wind up in Surprise you'll want to get to know Greg Childs who lives about as far North West Valley as you can get and not be in Las Vegas. There's also the Desert Z Association in Phoenix. (Covid has affected us all regarding group activities but there are some of us still willing to get together for lunch and drives.)

Definitely get that A/C working well - Kia blower and I'll let you know how to get one of Lucas Hayhurst's dash vents (I have the first one he printed - it's astounding how it changes the vent airflow). Don't worry - it's a DRY HEAT... (which doesn't actually mean a damn when it's hot-as-hell) They kept telling this Idaho boy "you'll get used to it!" - total BS... You just learn to live with it - much the same, but opposite, as living in the really frozen North - which means staying out of it as much as possible.

The good news is that there's quite a bit of Datsun knowledge and experience here and some fairly nice guys to hang out with once in a while.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cgsheen1 said:

Don't fret. The emissions regs here in Maricopa County aren't hard to meet for any decent running Z car. If you have collectors or vintage car insurance, there is no emissions test requirement to register.  Most of the Datsun owners here go that route. I don't because: A. I daily drive my 260Z (specs below) B. It's stupidly easy for my Z to get through emissions. 

IF you don't want to go the collector insurance route you'll need to do an emissions roller test every year and it's the same test from when they first started this thing. My 1974 doesn't require a look under the hood, but my son's 1976 280Z does. They want to make sure all the emissions control stuff is there and working but most of them don't know what should or shouldn't be there in the first place so they just check you carbon canister and the vacuum hoses for the most part. My '74 does a roller test that is maintaining a 30MPH speed for the first segment and then idle. The later test is almost the same but they vary the speed during the test. The standards for HC and NOX are fairly lax here and not difficult to meet.

I haven't brought an out-of-state titled vehicle into Arizona for quite some time, but AZ is fairly laid-back about such things. They don't require plumbers to be licensed by the state, it's right-to-work, any non-felon over the age of 21 can concealed carry without a CCW permit - but you can get one if you want,  we have drive-thru liquor stores (something I NEVER saw growing up in Idaho...), AND the Dunkin Doughnuts no longer gets robbed once a week like they used to in the 1970's...

Once you get here, check out Desert Datsuns (desertdatsuns.net) - not really a club per se, but a group of Datsun nuts here in the Phoenix area (although most of them are In the North and East Valley, a few on the West side). If you wind up in Surprise you'll want to get to know Greg Childs who lives about as far North West Valley as you can get and not be in Las Vegas. There's also the Desert Z Association in Phoenix. (Covid has affected us all regarding group activities but there are some of us still willing to get together for lunch and drives.)

Definitely get that A/C working well - Kia blower and I'll let you know how to get one of Lucas Hayhurst's dash vents (I have the first one he printed - it's astounding how it changes the vent airflow). Don't worry - it's a DRY HEAT... (which doesn't actually mean a damn when it's hot-as-hell) They kept telling this Idaho boy "you'll get used to it!" - total BS... You just learn to live with it - much the same, but opposite, as living in the really frozen North - which means staying out of it as much as possible.

The good news is that there's quite a bit of Datsun knowledge and experience here and some fairly nice guys to hang out with once in a while.

Thanks for the info.  My '78 looks stock underhood except for the header and lack of EGR.  The EGR was cracked and so I put a block-off plate over the port.  The only other visible mod is the rheostat on the temp sender for fuel enrichment to get the AFR right.  This is all very tentative, but I should have a better idea in a week or two what my plans are.  Fingers crossed....

• Like 1