IGNORED

Engine Rebuild

Auston

I don't think you would experience overheating with the n42 block, however this is getting outside of my scope of knowledge, I don't have the hands on experience to talk about these topics with authority.

You will find build threads on www.hybridz.org that would have way more knowledge, it might be worthwhile to search for some threads there.

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=n42+turbo+site%3Awww.hybridz.org&ia=web

If the turbo motor you picked up is in a healthy state, i would be inclined to either: A. run it as is, or B. perform a leakdown test, change out some seals, and run it as is.

New timing chain kit too, don’t think I’ve seen a pullout that clean before...probably fresh from the machine shop. I would install the engine and run it as is in a heartbeat. Keep your other block as a backup / future n/a build.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/17/2020 at 5:32 PM, Auston said:

So I would have a higher chance of overheating if I use the N42 block? @heyitsrama I wouldn't be driving hard, maybe a pull every now and then more of just a daily.

Everything properly maintained, the Z engines don’t run too hot. This doesn’t include racing. 1/2 an hour of WOT will cook anything that isn’t properly modified and maintained. I think the F54 was designed for the turbo but used for everything. That’s just smart. Turbo engines just run hotter. 
Having owned Z cars most of my life, they are plenty entertaining without monstrous power. Jeff has 200hp and I’m sure he falls asleep with a smile after race weekends. I’m using a Rebello built 3.0 which I dynoed at 276 at the wheels. My kid who drives a 944 Turbo is afraid to drive it...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I have an n42 block and n42 cylinder head I beat the hell out of occasionally. The harder I run the cooler it seems to run. I do have a newer 3 row radiator, full shroud off a ZX and a belly pan so all the air pulls through the front opening.

If I shut it down immediately it will get pretty hot but I always let it idle for a minute or 2.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/5/2020 at 12:30 PM, conedodger said:

Jeff has 200hp and I’m sure he falls asleep with a smile after race weekends. 

Yep.  My 200 hp engine will happily humm along for a full endurance race.  I pulled my current motor apart after 20 race hours due to a harmonic damper issue and everything looked like new inside.  I replaced the parts that the failed damper took out and put it back together.  ?

• Like 2

On 6/18/2020 at 5:47 PM, cgsheen1 said:

Ya. Do NOT take the head off that block. Run the L28ET just as it is. (well, don't mess with the internals and head) What do you have for harness/ECU? Stock ECCS? 

Hey! Sorry, was inactive for a little bit. The harness/ECU comes from a 1985 300zx Turbo. Same with the injectors.