IGNORED

Mint '71 240Z - More Fun Coming to BaT

DatsunZGuy

A picture of a build sheet?  The documentation affixed to the car as it progressed on the assembly line.  They were multi-layered carbon copy paper documents with a manilla paper base stock.  The paper layers were evidently torn away as the car assembly was completed at various stages.  Very few examples of the base form exist.  Unfortunately, my entire collection of authentic Nissan factory build documentation is on loan to Banzai Motorworks in Upper Marlboro, Maryland but Carl posted a picture here. 

After being on display in my office for umpteen years the colors, yes colors,  were a bit faded. One of my customers very generously agreed to have it professionally reproduced and enhanced. Should bring the colors back. When it returns, soon I hope,  I'll post the results.   

• Like 1

On 2/18/2020 at 1:37 AM, christoffel said:

A rare part that is different are the knuckle arms, They have the 12 mm ball joint shaft.

Interesting comment.  I believe early USA delivered vehicles had a 11 mm ball joint shaft.  (Later vehicles had a larger shaft due to ball joint failure.)

Keith

46 minutes ago, bartsscooterservice said:

5 BTDC is laughable though. 12 to 15C initial gives way better performance.

Shhhhhh! Don't let too much sunshine in on the magic.

Pointing out that the "Made For USA" cars didn't have 151bhp at the flywheel when installed is like telling kids that there ain't no Sanity Clause. It's cruel.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, bartsscooterservice said:

I believe there were many different distributors and internal components (springs, weights, etc.).  There is the so called "Euro" distributor also.  Perhaps the 5 BTDC actually worked well with the US spec distributor for that car.  Or, perhaps running more was better for performance.  I believe the Euro spec distributor was paired with a 17 BTDC spec.

On 2/20/2020 at 3:42 AM, bartsscooterservice said:

As the sticker says - "Vehicle Emission Control Information”- -  it is not a performance spec. Customers that wanted a performance tune knew what to do. Still in several States they had to pass annual vehicle emissions tests to keep their cars registered for road use. 

Customers in the USA wanted cleaner air and the largest Customer Base that was almost fanatics about it was in California;  where some 20,000,000 people were choking on pollution almost monthly. California lead the demand for the reduction of automotive exhaust gas pollution, with their California Air Research Board setting State Level Standards,  restricting exhaust gas pollution and gasoline vapor pollution over and above the USA Federal Standards which were the strictest enforced in the world. 

So for daily driving a Sports/GT Customers were more than happy to give up a couple HP for cleaner air;  especially in a car where losing a couple HP wouldn’t even be noticed in day to day traffic.