IGNORED

Picking up a 1977 280z 6 Hours Away. Tips?

BayAreaZ650

do yourself a favor, if not done already, check the waterpump. look for any weeping of water, and play in the pump shaft. When it goes its no fun and you risk overheating the head.

IF it needs replacement read a LOT about removing the bolts and how to try and avoid breaking them.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Dave WM said:

do yourself a favor, if not done already, check the waterpump. look for any weeping of water, and play in the pump shaft. When it goes its no fun and you risk overheating the head.

IF it needs replacement read a LOT about removing the bolts and how to try and avoid breaking them.

Thank you! I checked and it’s still looking good.

I took the Z out for a two hour cruise and it performed beautifully!

I did note a few issues with the Z:

1. Gas tank leak: there’s a few drops coming from the passenger side of the gas tank. I’m planning on getting it redone because there’s also a bit of rust in the tank as well.

2. Turn signal/headlights not working: I have to look into this issue more. Yesterday I plugged in a fusible link and within seconds, it burned out. Do auto parts stores sell fusible links?

3. Fuel Gauge isn’t working.

4. Suspension is bouncy: I bought kyb shocks and am waiting on Eibach springs.

4F7363BC-4A80-41AD-9398-BCE14A783E68.jpeg

those fuse links do not look factory. I am not sure but if they supply the head light circuit, then you may have a problem in the head light switch itself, but of course could be a short anywhere in the circuit. You are going to have to review the FSM and look at the section that covers that.

• Like 1

Yep the headlight have a fuse wire, I have the 76 fsm on BE-11 is shows the circuit. I would start by seeing if there is a dead short at the fuse link terminal that leads to the combo switch. Try operating the combo switch (lights on and off repeatedly) and see what effect you have. If no effect disconnect the lead at the combo swich (fsm shows a single red) and see if that clears the short. You are just going to have to work thru it with a multimeter to find the issue. that is IF the circuit is blowing the correct OE fuse link.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BayAreaZ650 said:

The fuse blew immediately. The combo switch and the turn signals won't work at all and the wipers turn on by themselves.

ok so now the fun begins, get the wiring diagram from the FSM that details the headlights for starters, you should be able to find the power lead, un plug that and see if you can clear the short on the terminal where the fuse wire plugs in. You are going to want to set things up for continuity testing and start working to see when the short goes away. My guess is the combo switch has been futz with, but you will just have to do some circuit tracing. IIRC its a big fat single red lead plug that is part of the combo switch harness. That one supplies power thru the combo switch back to the fuse box that has dual 10amp fuses for each head light. The headlight get the ground thru the dimmer, a big fat Black lead that is part of the combo switch harness.

Edited by Dave WM
  • Like 1

I want to get the 280z painted soon. I was considering removing the 280z bumpers completely and have the shop close the holes or replace it with 240z bumpers. Do the 280z bumpers help at all with protection in a collision? I'd like to be sure that I'm not compromising the little safety the Z offers.