IGNORED

Door mirror ideas

siteunseen

Cliff, I don't understand why you want to remove good glass from the mirror housing but to keep the costs down you could try the same lock face cap pliers that Zup linked to in my lock thread,  https://www.dhgate.com/product/new-model-car-door-lock-face-cap-plier-removal/396796240.html

It is the same application really as the door lock caps except re installing and rolling the lip back into place might not be possible.

Edited by grannyknot

I have a good housing on my 240 but the mirror is broken.  I've taken all the pieces out and now have a round stick-on from a chain store stuck in there.  Fortunately a "gift horse" smiled and showed his teeth.  The fronts looked like new but the rears showed their age. LOL

Zup sent me a good mirror with a dented housing behind it.  I need to transfer the glass mirror he sent to my car.  I thought I could get it out fairly easy with these but it did not work so good and now I nervous about breaking the mirror and the 7 years of bad luck that go along with that. :ph34r:

Putting it back in will (should) be easier with a good round piece of hardwood, a section of an old mop handle from the restaurant is what I was thinking.

spin_prod_951618912?&hei=2000&wid=2000&o

One of those projects that sounds so easy, but in reality isn't easy at all.

If you don't care about the dented housing, you could use a cutting disk to slot the housing metal most of (or all) the way across and then just open it up like a clamshell to get the good glass out. In other words, sacrifice the housing to save the glass.

Or instead of cutting through the housing with a disk, you could maybe grind the seamed lip off the bent housing along the widest side and then possibly slide the mirror glass out of the housing like opening a sliding door.

So how badly dented is the housing? Could you weld a stud onto it or drill a small hole and pull the dent out? Cover the hole with a Summit Racing sticker or something?

• Like 2

I'm betting along those odds myself.  Zup will come down here and slap me upside the head if I break it.  Coming in from the back was an idea but they have a rubber back pad glued to the mirror.

I've already called my local Nissan parts guy and they have plenty for some reason.  But no windshield wipers. :rolleyes:

• Like 1