IGNORED

How fast should a fan clutch spin when the engine is cold?

I checked the fan clutch yesterday when my 240z was cold and it is not spinning freely. If you turn it, it only spins 1/3 to 1/4 of the full cycle. If this is the case, should i order a new fan clutch and wáter pump with gaskets also? Who sells original OEM Nissan fan clutch and wáter pump? My car was made in January 1972 and carries a plastic fan blade.

When the fan clutch goes bad it spins more, by hand. I put a new one in my'72 and spinning by hand it won't even make a complete rotation cold. They have oil in them and when it's hotter it frees the fan up. I know that sounds backwards or at least to me, but it's not. Before starting it for the day it should only go around once if that much. A more dangerous way to test them is trying to stop it while the motor is running, if you can it needs to be replaced. I've read using a piece of wood like a broom handle against the aluminium hub is how you do it, not me though! Mine was less than $20 at Advanced Auto.

They can fail in the opposite direction as well, mine seized solid as if the fan was bolted straight to the pulley. Sounded like a jet plane above 1500 rpm.

That's a good point. Sound would be the easiest way to tell. With a new one, on start up it's a lot louder for the first few minutes. The fan noise definitely gets quieter after it warms up.

When I start my engine, it's quiet for about a minute, then gets louder for a couple minutes, the quiet again, then loud...

I assume it's working correctly, because it's new.

It seems like we should get the severe-duty thermal clutch, because it's supposed to spin at a lower RPM (20% of water pump speed.)

Could you use one with a flex fan?

Edited by TomoHawk

Having experienced clutch seizure, The noise is a lot like small plane prop. & HP drops about 25%. I drove my Z with a flex fan (no clutch) over 100k miles and had no complaints. Mine has a 2" spacer which sets the fan 1" from the radiator instead of 1 5/8". Fan diam. is 15" & acually gets quieter at higher RPMs. If you watch it as you rev the engine the blades flatten out. The individual blades are quite large 3 1/2" x 5 1/4". At the time I thought I would add a shroud but didn't need it after all. My orig. fan had steel blades & weighed a lot. with the FF, the engine reved noticeably quicker.

TomoHawk, I don't ever remember my fan clutch, for the few years that it lasted, cycling as you described.

Confession, I drove the car daily without a fan in the summer time for 2 weeks. This is what I learned. RPMs are heat. Duh! Keep the revs low and shut it off instead of idling. I found that at 10 MPH or above I could keep the car at the normal temp. this way. I came to realize that it doesn't take much speed at all to make a fan useless. i wasn't entirely sure if the FF would solve my overheating at idle but i was totally satisfied.

Edited by Mark Maras