IGNORED

Loop pile carpet, any recent purchases? (2008)

Arne

I have been following this thread with interest and am in the same camp as Dan, looking for the closest to original as possible for my late "Series 1". I was a bit mystified with what is correct and found the examples helpful. I removed my original carpeting and saved it for later reference, but it has vanished, along with my original shift boot. It will turn up when I no longer need it. I do remember the luggage strap brackets were screwed down directly on top of the carpet. There was no slit and the forward edge was not surge bound, IIRC, only held by the plastic "U channel". Makes sense since access to the tool/jack storage wasn't from the top of the deck on a "Series 1". So, it seems we are divided, as too what is correct for us, depending on build date. That makes it all the more difficult to find someone to cut & edge bind carpeting to our specifications, although the "series 1" would be easier to do on the rear deck piece. I would like to get an idea of how many of us would be in the market for the correct loop pile for each of our particular "Series". That information would determine if it is economically feasible for someone to take on the task and produce them somewhat affordable or not. So far it seems most are willing to make do with what is available.

Ron---

to get the ball rolling I'd be up for 2 sets if done correctly with the details we are discussing. One for an early (7/70 with no splits on the rear deck) and one for a 71 with the splits.

If we don't try seriously, we can only then accept what is offered, not what we want.

We will find someone to do it.

There is only the questions of when and who.

The sourcing of the carpet is important, and anyone that finds the "right stuff"-- please let it be known.

Jot me down as a holdout.

A snippet from an e-mail that I sent Arne---

My granddad was an upholsterer, among many things, and his machine could do this. It wasn't cam operated and wouldn't mass produce anything. It did have his skill to operate it and could accept many weights of fabric. I'm hoping to find someone with his ability and with an old time machine that isn't made to do one thing.

Has anyone contacted Chester and Herod?

http://http://autockm.com/

They claim to have been in business since 1948 and have patterns for Datsun/Nissan. They appear to be an amalgam of automated machines and attention to hand done detail work.

Keep looking and posting!

Jim d.

"Zup" :bunny:

No, I haven't contacted Chester & Herod, but have been exchanging e-mails with a Z vendor about this. Since I'm already in talks with one supplier, I'll leave it to someone else to contact C&H.

Regarding my talks, I now no longer believe that all these kits are made by the same manufacturer. The vendor I'm working with actually has two different suppliers that he deals with, depending on what kits you want. I don't want to name the vendor yet, until we figure out what the final kit will be like.

But I can say that the vendor and his supplier are open to suggestions, and that it appears almost certain that they will soon add the notches at the rear of the deck carpet to their 240Z loop pile kit. I believe that the padding material will remain the same as it is now, though. We are still looking at options for pre-cut slits for the front retainers by the seats. Those are currently not cut, although snaps for the front are included.

More details as I get them.

Arne,

Thanks for making contact...I'm waiting with cash in hand for a decent carpet set. In re padding/jute material--weren't they placed separately (non-glued) for the floors and rear deck? If we have just the carpet, without any underpadding, we can add the padding on our own as we see fit..ostensibly waiting for a supplier to surface with near-correct horsehair style jute.

Might make things easier with you your supplier

Zup,

That link doesn't work...too many https

http://autockm.com/

Les at CDM told me that these are the same kits they used in the Z Store restoration program for Nissan. Why would Nissan approve kits that are not loop pile and do not have the rear slots for the metal floor tabs or the front snaps? I guess I could take the kit to an upholstery shop and have them sew in the slots, and I could add the snaps. Looks like the Datsun Spirit kits covers even the vinyl portions of the interior floor.

Les at CDM told me that these are the same kits they used in the Z Store restoration program for Nissan. Why would Nissan approve kits that are not loop pile and do not have the rear slots for the metal floor tabs or the front snaps?
Because the Z Store program was never about originality, it was about marketing. If they were concerned with originality that would have kept the original engines matched to the cars.

I appreciate those who are building cars to be as close to original stock as possible. Years ago I helped a co-worker build a 66 Mustang for show. It's insane how much detail and expense is involved in producing a competitive car, right down to the level of orange peel in the paint and over-spray in the engine compartment. It's a real challenge to get those last few points...

My take is that unless you are building a car "for show", it's more important to have good looking, durable carpet it is than being 100% correct.

On my previous Z what I did was use indoor-outdoor loop carpet. It had a nice backing and did a good job at helping to deaden sound & vibration, but it was a bit heavier.

I cut it out myself using the old carpet as a pattern, improving the fit where required. I then had a local upholstery guy bind the edges. I plan to do the same on my current car. It won't be "show" stock, but then I'm not building a show car... While it will be mostly stock, I'm building a "the way I want it" car...

Because the Z Store program was never about originality, it was about marketing. If they were concerned with originality that would have kept the original engines matched to the cars.

Hi Arne:

Of the cars we've found - only a couple do not have their original engines. That is because the original engine from them had some problems that prevented proper overhaul.. ie cracked block, scared cylinder wall etc.

Since we haven't Registered all 38 of them - I don't know what the exact percentage will turn out to be... but it would seem that every reasonable effort was made to keep the original engines in the cars.

FWIW,

Carl B.