IGNORED

Suspension advice

Diseazd

Hello,

I am new to the forum. I have a 71 240z all original in immaculate condition as well as a 72 that has been fully restored. I lowered the 72 lime green with Eibach spings and Tokico shocks. I would like to do the same to the 71, but I feel the combo on the lime one is too stiff. What would you reccomend for lowering the car with a better ride? I was thinking adjustable shocks with suspension techniques springs.

Any advice?

Thanks

BTW, is there a min. post requirement to post pix? I have 4 Z's total and have some great pix.

Welcome to the site Guy. If you post your pictures in this thread we will be able to see them immediately. If you post to the main gallery on the front page it takes a bit for a moderator to approve them.

Chris A.

So nada eh??? The options so far are Eibach, Tokico, or susp. tech. springs. Definately want adjustable shocks and would like to lower the car 1-1.5". With that said, we would like to keep the ride as comforatable as possible. The Eibach and tokico no adjustables ride pretty stiff with the 16" panasports.

Other than using a spring/strut setup, what coilovers are the best and most comforatble? The car will never be raced

Don't lower it. Lowered + soft springs = riding on the bumpstops. Riding on the bumpstops is going to be much less comfortable than stiff springs. The Eibach springs you already have are among the more comfortable lowering springs as they are progressive.

Just my $.02

Not much to say. There are only two off-the-shelf adjustable shocks available for 240Zs - Tokico and Koni. Both are fairly track-oriented, and both have a reputation for being a bit stiff, as you have already found out.

I don't have any personnal experience with coil-overs on a Z, but as a guess I'd say that most of those are also rather track-oriented.

Jon is probably right, a 240Z doesn't have much suspension travel even at stock height, lowering it will make that worse. I'm running stock springs with old-school Mulholland struts on my '71. The Mulhollands are rather stiff, my car's ride is fairly firm. Not harsh, but very firm. Maybe a bit to firm for a weekend cruiser, but still doable.

• 1 year later...

Guy,

I came across this old post as I was searching for suspension info. The stance/ look of the your lime green Z is impressive--but you mentioned the ride was too stiff. What did you decide to do on the suspension of the 71 Z? Does is ride better than the 72?

Rich

For what it's worth . I used a set of Euro Stage 1 springs and KYB-G2 struts. The combination gives me a vary good ride and handling . My opinion. I lowered the 240 all around by cutting some of the spring. These are not progressive , so the ride remained the same . The ride is a compromise between a track set up and OEM. To me she handles like a sports car should. Tight but not harsh. At one time Curtsey Nissan in Texas had 40 sets of these left. But this was a couple of years ago. If you would like to see pictures of my Z send me a PM .

Gary

At one time Curtsey Nissan in Texas had 40 sets of these left. But this was a couple of years ago. If you would like to see pictures of my Z send me a PM .

Gary

Hi Gary:

I believe Courtesy only had about 7 sets left.

Actually - I worked with a Spring Manufacturer that Bryan had located, and who expressed an interest in working with us. Bryan was the one that initially drug me into this...

We sat up a Group Buy for the Internet Z Car Club and the Classic Z Car Club, so that the cost of the springs could be held to something reasonable, considering the custom build order.

Courtesy Nissan supported our effort, buy paying the manufacturer for the entire order. Then they collected the funds from the people that had agreed to buy sets in the Group Buy, and shipped the springs out to each individual involved.

I talked an owner that had purchased an NOS set of Euro Spec. Springs on E-Bay - into reselling them to me, so we could be sure that the reproductions were accurate in every detail. Being a real Z Car Fan he was willing to sell the NOS set to me, and he purchased a set in the Group-Buy as well. (Z Car People Are the Best - Mark Graham).

I provided the spring spec.'s to the manufacturer, as well as the correct paint codes, and I keep track of who was signed up for the Group Buy. As I recall, out of the original order for 40 sets (4 springs in a set), we had about 33 sets pre-sold, and Courtesy held the remaining sets in their inventory, for later retail sales. They didn't last long....

We did the same thing with US Spec. Stock springs.

I mention all this because without the support of Courtesy Nissan's Parts Department - I doubt any of it would have happened. This represented a lot of time and effort on the part of the guys at Courtesy - and all for next to no real profit. One more reason to give them your Parts Business if your going to order parts on-line from anyone.

http://www.courtesyparts.com

FWIW,

Carl B.

Edited by Carl Beck