IGNORED

Does an LSD need better cooling?

8 hours ago, LeonV said:

I'm assuming all the sharp edges will be filleted before being sent out for production? Curious what the mass is as well?

Right now it's looking at about eight pounds. I'm using the software to apply fillets where I can and I'll round the remaining edges post printing. The attached obj file is a viewable 3D file. It can be viewed using Paint 3D although it takes a couple of minutes to load. The stl file might work better depending on your software.

differential with draft Rev 3 v5.obj differential with draft Rev 3 v5.stl

I saw that video and I included mounting points on the fins to attach a removable 1/8-inch thick scoop. I drilled out the fill plug and treaded it for a temperature sensor so that I could experiment with it during autocross to evaluate the effect. 

Anyone know the threading on the fill and drain plugs?  I'm going to need to order a tap. I also need to locate the fill plug I tapped and promptly misplaced. My shop is a tiny corner of my garage and I still manage to misplace things.

• Haha 1

Back to the drawing board.

I got my son to push his '05 Lotus out from under my Z which is up on a lift so I could check for fitment. When I tried to fit a prototype onto the mounting points I realized that there is a cross member below it that is in the way. I'm not sure what I can do other than greatly reduce the reservoir volume and size of the heat exchange fins.

image.png

PXL_20240324_181625703.jpg

PXL_20240324_181327495.jpg

PXL_20240324_181403951.jpg

PXL_20240324_181432640.jpg

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, grannyknot said:

Or modify the cross-member.

That cross member supports the transverse links which gives me pause. It might be possible to create a standoff to shift the cross member 2-3 inches to the rear. The question is: Does the improvement in heat dissipation from the LSD worth the change in design of the vehicle's suspension supports? 

It looks like this R200 finned cover had the same issue and required modification as well:

https://protunerz.com/products/protunerz-billet-r200-finned-differential-cover

My son's partially dissembled Lotus is back under the Z again making this more difficult.

Edited by Jeff Berk

There is an aluminum after market part that is available to replace that cross member. I tried to find it real quick but I didn't see it.

Or you could modify the rear cross member the way I did in my build thread

14 hours ago, Jeff Berk said:

Patcon,

I've been going through the pages of the Lily build and have not spotted that part yet. Can you give me some direction on where that section of the build thread is?

Jeff

I will look for it