IGNORED

Interior roof and pillar trim

Patcon

So I need some advise. I need to do the vinyl roof trim and the A pillar trim in the car. If I had been thinking, I would have done this while it was on the rotisserie, but I wasn't! :blush: I did the headliner this way. I don't know why I didn't do the rest then...

So which order do the pieces go in? Sides first, then windshield header? Any pictures of how the ends are folded or detailed?

What is the best way to go about it? Foam onto the vinyl first or foam on the car first? Glue applied to the vinyl or onto the car? Spray glue or yellow contact cement?

I have been procrastinating on this but it's time to get it done. Thanks for any help

C

• Like 1

Here is a link to a post from my resto thread showing removal of the interior vinyl. On mine these items came out with the vinyl still attached to the foam, I think the foam should be attached to the vinyl first but I could be wrong. The vinyl over the windshield definitely goes in before the A-pillar/over the door vinyl. Basically the reverse of what I describe in the link.

And here is a pic that might help with the corner joint.

20210801_113208.jpg

Also if you have Wick Humble's book, check that as well. A lot of good info starting on page 127.

Edited by CanTechZ
  • Thanks 1

Having lunch at the moment, when I’m done I’ll go out to the shop and check a couple of my Zs. I can think of several that have original, unmolested interiors .

BRB

Edited by Racer X
  • Thanks 1

As promised, although a bit late, here are the corners on my 72. The center portion above the windshield was placed first, the right and left sides next. The windshield goes in last, the rubber gasket going over the vinyl, holding the edge down.IMG_0676.jpegIMG_0674.jpeg

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

When we pull that vinyl the thin foam always stays glued to the metal... I think that's the easier route. I've done a few and I glue the foam to the metal and trim if I need to - then do the vinyl. The vinyl needs to start inside and be stretched out to the flanges. Glue it to the flanges. Inside up top it's held with the clips. Remember that the windshield weatherstrip is going to go over the vinyl and when it does it'll pull it tighter - so don't worry if it seems a bit "puffy" (can't think of a proper way to describe a new vinyl install without the gasket in yet...).  And the door weatherstrip will cover and pull the A pillar vinyl smooth and tight on the outboard side. The top of the A pillar can be a bit troublesome - getting the joint with the front to look correct and smooth. Remember also the visors will pull the vinyl a bit too when mounted so they may help smooth things out...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 5 weeks later...

Started messing with this tonight.

It takes a second to get oriented on how the header piece needs to be to clip the wind lace over it.

20230812_191929_resized.jpg

20230812_191939_resized.jpg

20230812_191930_resized.jpg

20230812_192404_resized.jpg

20230812_192407_resized.jpg

Once I get this clipped in and like it I will trim it back some. Then I'm gonna glue the foam to the metal. Then glue the header piece to the front flange...

• Like 3

I tried to get some better pictures of the interior roof trim

20230820_193051_resized.jpg

I will work on this fold a little more. I glued the passenger side and it looks a little better. I'm sure I can make this detail right with a little more fiddling

20230820_193055_resized.jpg

20230820_193059_resized.jpg

20230820_193118_resized.jpg

• Like 2