IGNORED

[2023] What Did You Do To/with Your Z Today?

zed2

Had the slave cylinder go out today and had to tow it home.  My son was on his way to school when it failed and leaked all the fluid out.  I have the early 70 so looking for either a rebuild kit or a replacement for the early type.  The early ones had the manual adjustable rod with a spring on the outside.  There needs to be the hole in the slave cylinder to accept the end of the spring. 

Tim M

On 9/19/2023 at 1:28 PM, siteunseen said:

Gave the Beefeaters the day off and eased out one of my crown jewels. Cranked up and ran good but all that sitting ruined another break cylinder.

My dog has a doctor's appointment Thursday morning and he likes riding in this rather than my truck so I half assed cleaned it up for him.

Screenshot_20230919-131104_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20230919-130919_Gallery.jpg

Dog's in good health just older and tired BUT the ride to the other side of my small town in the Z was so neat and funny. He sits so low in the seat all that people see is his head which is 2 eyeballs a nose and ears. He has huge ears and they were flying around like a hairless duck. 😄

It was great. I did loose a front centercap though. Crossed a few train tracks at a good rate of speed so no big deal.

Can hardly wait to get him out more now the sun has set away from here. What a miserable summer we all had.

• Like 2

It looks like I will be busy under the 280Z this weekend.  I just got a deposit to sell my daily driver, so I need to get my Z reliable enough to drive to work for a while.  I still need to get the new exhaust finished, drop the trans and replace the rear main seal, trans output shaft seal, speedo cable seals, and go through everything else that might need attention.  I haven't driven it much at all in the past 13 years.  

Wish me luck.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Yarb said:

Beck Arnley is as close as you will find. Didn’t realize you were going to try and rebuild it.

Well I think I found a rebuild kit so I will try that as well.  An NOS is about $80 bucks so the $13 one may do for now.  I do have an early transmission and its in desperate need of a rebuild but looks like parts are not easy to get for the type A.  So investing in the NOS clutch slave that I may have to change anyways for the updated transmission doesn't seem like the correct way to go. 

Anyone have access to a parts list for the early type A transmission? 

3 hours ago, MyDatsun240Z said:

Car is back on the road.....

Yesterday we -

- installed the new clutch slave

- swapped out the strut rod bushings

- swapped out the steering rack bushings

I was hoping for a more stable feeling but it wasn't as drastic as I was hoping. 

Tim M

What is the condition of the other rubber bushings up front and the tie rod ends?

I may not have mentioned but the car was sitting for over 18 years.  As part of maintenance, I will eventually replace all the front end components but I am doing it a little at a time.  I have been putting a good amount of $ into it so taking little chunks at a time.  One thing that set me back a bit was the fuel tank.  I also didn't think getting the interior pieces was going to be such a big cost.  I have original blue interior and I have a number of missing pieces.  

For the front end I plan to do ...

- ball joints - this also includes the lower bracket because I have an early 70 model.

- tie rods

- lower control arm bushings

- sway bar bushings

- steering coupler bushing

- going to need to replace the lower ujoint in the steering column