IGNORED

weird sound upon cranking

Wally

8 hours ago, jonbill said:

that sounds like a car starting fairly normally. maybe there's a bit of fan belt squeal when you rev it. 

Is this representative of the problem? I'd assumed the car wasn't starting. 

car starts with no problem. it could be a belt. will check on that

On 12/22/2022 at 5:53 PM, siteunseen said:

If it's an older starter clean the contacts and make sure the small wire up top seats onto the terminal good and tight. All of the connections while your bent over. 

Okay a comma would've been best, ..."good and tight, (coma) all of the connections while your bent over."

Picky, picky, picky. If your last name isn't Strunk or White back off. I'm from Alabama. I get some leeway. LOL

Furthermore sniffing my house plants makes me sneeze. You must smoke them skunks like turkey meat. :love:

Edited by siteunseen
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

15 hours ago, dutchzcarguy said:

??? Is this slang? Not familiar with it! 😁

It's part of a line from an old Beatle's song.

"No thank you please, it only makes me sneeze. Then it makes it hard to find the door."

But they mispronounce the word "the" a little bit, and it sounds more like "dee", At least to me... After sniffing the houseplants.

https://youtu.be/Ag6wyMNLv_A?t=34

Edited by Captain Obvious
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 12/29/2022 at 9:36 PM, Racer X said:

Have you checked the starter mounting bolts? Are they tight?

It sounds like the bendix is hanging, not returning as it should.

Just got around to this. all bolts are really tight. When i crank the car it squeels. When i press the gas pedal it squeels again. After about 10-15 seconds all the squeeling stops. I can upload another short video with sound if that would help. 

4 hours ago, Wally said:

Just got around to this. all bolts are really tight. When i crank the car it squeels. When i press the gas pedal it squeels again. After about 10-15 seconds all the squeeling stops. I can upload another short video with sound if that would help. 

Squealing sounds like a loose belt.

Check the belt tension.

The AC belt idler pulley bearings are known to go bad.  AC compressor clutch is a possibility.  If you have AC.

Your video was pretty short.  Couldn't tell if it happened on every rev or only the start up.  Seems to be starting on just a few cylinders too.   Thumpa thumpa thumpa...