IGNORED

weird sound upon cranking

Wally

My car just started making a very odd sound when it turns over. It sounds like a spinning tires. only until the car fully cranks up and then sound is gone.

Any ideas. I will try to get a quick video next time i crank it up.

32 minutes ago, siteunseen said:

Do a deep charge on you're battery. Kind of sounds like starter troubles?

Funny you should say that. Battery was dead. i charged it enough to crank.... will do an overnight charge and see. thanks

I've watched my Dad whack the solenoid with the handle end of a big screwdriver and it fixed it for how long I'm not too sure. LOL

If it's an older starter clean the contacts and make sure the small wire up top seats onto the terminal good and tight. All of the connections while your bent over. I've read shining the ground metal on the starter fixed one. The black one from the battery to the starter mount bolt. Good luck!

• Like 1

A friends car was exhibiting something similar.  He would crank the engine and it would sound like it was spinning, but not start.  Sometimes it would start and run well.  Come back a while later and it would not start. We went down the same route suspecting the solenoid and/or starter.  We took the valve cover off and it looked like the valves wee operating, oil was spraying etc.  When it was in the failing state to check spark via the distributor, we turned the crank with a socket and ratchet.  It seemed to turn way too easily like there was no compression.  He did a compression check and two cylinders were zero (engine cold because it would not start it to warm it up).  A couple of hours later he repeated the compression check and low and behold it registered much higher, but not normal.  The car started and again it ran well.  Turns out it was a couple of stuck valves - that is when he revealed that he had put some old gas in to dispose of or use up.  Unlikely that you are having the same issue, but it may be worth eliminating.  

Hope it resolves soon.

• Like 1