IGNORED

Bad noises somewhere in my drive train

kenward1000

Driving my '71 240z in the hills today.  Leaving the scenic outlook, decided to chirp the tires a little.  Something went BANG loudly in the rear end.  Coasted to a stop, did a visual inspection, nothing found. 

Continued driving, but the loud BANG started happening again and more frequently, only when I was on the gas, not when coasting.  Parked it again, no visuals again.  Called the tow truck, now back home.

Put rear up on jack stands.  In neutral, rotated the tires forward at same time, while friend grabbed the drive shaft.  Some times the shaft would turn in sync with the wheels, other times it seemed to skip or jump.

Asking the experts in the group for suggestions on further trouble shooting.  Don't know if it's the shaft itself, the U-joints, the differential, etc.  Stock diff, looks like it's never been opened.

'71 240z, Rebello 3.0 engine, Z Car Garage suspension, brakes, CV joints, new clutch, 5 speed tranny recently serviced.  

IMG_9645.jpeg

This is just a shot in the dark, but I had a clunking noise when shifting.  Found that the two 

fasteners securing the mustache bar to the rear diff housing had loosened up.  The clunking

went away when re-torqued those nuts.

4 hours ago, kenward1000 said:

Something went BANG loudly in the rear end.  Coasted to a stop, did a visual inspection, nothing found. 

Continued driving, but the loud BANG started happening again and more frequently, only when I was on the gas

Put rear up on jack stands.  In neutral, rotated the tires forward at same time, while friend grabbed the drive shaft.  Some times the shaft would turn in sync with the wheels, other times it seemed to skip or jump.

Rebello 3.0 engine

There should be no skipping or jumping ever.  You broke something.  Probably not worth fixing, even if it's possible.  Find a new diff.  Consider an R200 conversion, Nissan started using them to take the torque of the L28 engines.

p.s. please post pictures of the destroyed gears or shafts after you open it up.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...