IGNORED

Any advice on a 4 Post Lift

Av8ferg

With work being so busy my pursuit of getting the Z finally home has taken a back seat. I no longer can drop trips when I want like I could let-COVID. It’s all hands on deck in the shipping industry. Like everyone else I’m blaming COVID. Has anyone noticed how difficult is it to get things in the marketplace right now. Furniture, appliances etc....I paid for my new furniture 4 months ago and then last week the store closed it’s doors and took all our money. They have a sign “closed permanently due to COVID-19”. Now we are disputing the charges with the credit card company. We also had a difficult time getting out new family car as inventories are low so dealers aren’t “dealing” they’re gouging.
Sorry for the tangent. My garage is almost ready to invite the Z in (more shelving to build today) but my wife doesn’t want it sitting outside (she’s embarrassed to see a beater in our driveway). I keep telling her it’s going to be beautiful some day. At which point I get the “are you kidding me look”! So I am planning on putting in a 4 post lift so I can stack my Z and keep my wife happy. I’m sure we have people on here that have one so I thought I’d show the one I’m looking at on the forum. It’s the Atlas Pro 8000.

dfb8a9057dc3caa24094e42a579887e6.jpg&key=a16ef57158c20d3f806e7ae06dee5063c59c109b52ccd95c75bce964d9783f8d

https://racetoolsdirect.com/product/8000-lb-capacity-4-post-lift/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIi4WG-tHh7QIVBaiGCh2i3AeaEAQYByABEgLRKPD_BwE

My garage is just tall enough for the Z and my other car at 117” I don’t have much experience with these lifts, but reviews look good.

Edit:
Not sure how this got in the Engine & Drivetrain section...can’t seem to move it now to Open Discussions

I have a BendPak 4-poster, and I love it!

https://www.bendpak.com/car-lifts/four-post-lifts/

My shop ceiling is 12'-6" height, and I can put a full size van on top with room for the Z underneath if I choose.

I got the lift with the optional casters, so I can move the lift where I please. I have even moved it outside in the driveway to power wash the underside of my cars.

The lift takes 220 volts for the hydraulics and a source of compressed air for the safety mechanisms. I just use a long 220v extension cord and an air hose to allow for moving the lift around.

Get a couple of the fixed sliding jack trays and some short bottle jacks, and you are good to go.

DSC00686.JPG

Edited by crayZlair
added pic

1 hour ago, Marty Rogan said:

Does anyone know where the Atlas lifts are made? I emailed them once and they never responded.

Try emailing sales@gregsmithequipment.com. I bought my scissor lift from them. If I can remember, I'll look for the manual.

And for @Av8ferg, I had a good experience with Greg Smith Equipment. I went to them because they are local to me. They actually messed up and sent me a better lift than what I ordered. I let them know, and they didn't charge me the difference. The only downside about that for me (if you want to consider it a downside) was that I had to get a 30A receptacle and circuit breaker installed for that model.

• Like 1

Bendpaks are great lifts, but they do sit the car up a little higher than some of the low profile lifts marketed for car stacking. I don’t have any first hand experience with car stacker lifts, but I can say to make sure you have all your measurements down (and then measure again), and know exactly how high the roofline will be using “x” lift. You’ll want to take the measurement from the highest point on the concrete in the garage, because if it isn’t plum level then the lift will need to be shimmed on the corners that sit lower, adding to the total height. And if there’s a drastic rake in the garage then different or modified ramps may be required. 

• Like 1

Does anyone know where the Atlas lifts are made? I emailed them once and they never responded.

All these are made overseas. When I spoke to a rep on the phone who has sold over 500 of these, said the one I was looking at was made in the same factory as the Bend Pak just painted differently and cost more because Bend Pak got the ones they sell ALI certified for insurance reason for people putting them in a auto repair shop. Not sure if he’s telling me the truth but the Bend Pak is $900 more and come with aluminum ramps vs steels.

I just looked online and it appears that BendPak 4 posts lifts are made in China (like all the others) and have been for at least 12 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Try emailing sales@gregsmithequipment.com. I bought my scissor lift from them. If I can remember, I'll look for the manual.
And for [mention=32672]Av8ferg[/mention], I had a good experience with Greg Smith Equipment. I went to them because they are local to me. They actually messed up and sent me a better lift than what I ordered. I let them know, and they didn't charge me the difference. The only downside about that for me (if you want to consider it a downside) was that I had to get a 30A receptacle and circuit breaker installed for that model.

I’ve tried calling them about 5 times. They never answer the phone or return my messages. Not sure if they’re on reduced hours with COVID.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FYI, I have a Bendpak. Great lift but just to correct an above comment, they come with steel ramps. The aluminum ramps are an option that have a longer approach making it ideal for cars with low air dams. If you are planning on doing work on your car, consider getting the bridge jack if it's within your budget. I ended up building a stationary bridge and use bottle jacks to get the same effect. I have the wheel kit to move the lift but other than making it easy to move the lift to its final position after assembly, I've not had to use them. The plastic trays are a must to protect the car underneath. I have two of them and then cut a piece of plywood to get a third when I discovered a slow leak from the differential. I also had to turn my garage door to a high lift which means that a "normal" garage-door opener won't work. 

One more comment, if you are planning on installing it yourself, get help. The components are heavy. 

28 minutes ago, Jeff Berk said:

One more comment, if you are planning on installing it yourself, get help. The components are heavy. 

Amen to that Brother!

I ended up using an "A" frame made from 2x8's along with a chain hoist to aid in assembly. Two of us put the lift together in about 4 hours.