IGNORED

Z's on BAT and other places collection

Zed Head

19 minutes ago, GoldAir said:

I saw September '71 on the door jam plate. Does the year of manufacture run a year in advance of the model year?

240429035_4523781807686366_6839301216858611895_n.jpg

Since the mid 50's the "New" models for the Coming Calendar Year have been introduced a few months before 1 January of the coming year. In the mid to late 1950's "New Models" were put on display and open to the Public - at the local Authorized Dealership on Nov 1 of the current year. As competition got more serious, Manufacturers tried to bet the completion to the show room floor - so they started introducing new models Oct 1 - by the mid 60's new models were being introduced by Sept. 1.   As I recall Ford introduced the New 1965 Mustang in April of 1964.   Now the funny thing is NISSAN said they will introduce the New 2023 Z Car in the Spring of 2022.

By the way - the VIN #47358 on that car is the Key - - The 1972 Model Year Datsun 240Z's started with VIN HLS30 46001.

Edited by Carl Beck
spelling

21 hours ago, Carl Beck said:

Since the mid 50's the "New" models for the Coming Calendar Year have been introduced a few months before 1 January of the coming year. In the mid to late 1950's "New Models" were put on display and open to the Public - at the local Authorized Dealership on Nov 1 of the current year. As competition got more serious, Manufacturers tried to bet the completion to the show room floor - so they started introducing new models Oct 1 - by the mid 60's new models were being introduced by Sept. 1.   As I recall Ford introduced the New 1965 Mustang in April of 1964.   Now the funny thing is NISSAN said they will introduce the New 2023 Z Car in the Spring of 2022.

By the way - the VIN #47358 on that car is the Key - - The 1972 Model Year Datsun 240Z's started with VIN HLS30 46001.

I believe that the Mustang you reference was sold as a 1964.5.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Mustang_(first_generation)

• Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Zpenman said:

Beautiful car, but shouldn't the radio be AM only?

I think you're correct given it has an early console. 

Also, interesting placement of the A/C control on the passenger side.  Too bad there's a lot of orange peel on the paint finish for a car tickling a six-digit selling price.

• Agree 1

Oh my... Its now 89000 $  ..   Right door top does not fit at all! (Pic 26)  and the hood alignment could be much better.. the airfilter is the wrong one i think.. (should not have the cold /hot switching device..)  

This color in/out .. Ofcourse it's a matter of taste but i hate this colorcombo.. jak! 

$89K amazing and unbelievable  - I looks beautiful - -  HOWEVER, given the condition of the engine and engine compartment - there are enough Quality Points to deduct there alone - to knock it out of Category #1 or #2 Condition. This is most certainly NOT yet a Concours example.

The Air Cleaner is correct for a Series II 1971. However none of the parts that should be bright shinny Yellow Chromated are “restored”.  Brake lines, Fuel Lines, Carb. Linkages, Air Injection tubes, Fuel Rails, nuts/bolts etc.  Many of the fuel/water rubber hoses are incorrect (old/worn). 

Non-stock/original exhaust system.
Incorrect Splash Pan added
Hood hinges should be body color
Hood torsos bars should be black
Horns are wrong color

Seats are installed on the wrong side
Dimond vinyl on the rear shock towers wrinkled/sloppy
Metal Rivits on the Tail Light Finisher Panels?

Beautiful 240Z, I’d love to have it… but market pricing realistically might be something closer to $65K - maybe a bit more with full photo. documentation of how the body work was done..
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2