IGNORED

Z's on BAT and other places collection

Zed Head

8 minutes ago, siteunseen said:

I believe his name's Abbie something or another? LOL

It was Igor, but this was one on the best scenes. Abnormal >>>> Abby normal. As you already knew. LOL

Edited by CanTechZ
  • Like 1

On 4/8/2021 at 7:35 AM, Dadsun said:

I've been on the notifications for BAT for a while. Finally scratched the itch with my first 240z about a year ago. I bought it via Facebook marketplace from the original owner in Lafayette, Louisiana, about 1.5 hours from me. Still have the original title and receipts. It's a 1973 with build date of 10/72. So it apparently had the worst of the flat top carb iterations. 79K miles. He drove it maybe 3-4K the last 20 years. 

Hi Dadsun, welcome to the '73 club!  The best year of all 240Zs!  😁

But the "worst of the flat top carb iterations.." was still a great carb, despite Z therapy and numerous mechanics who couldn't be bothered to learn about the SU HIF "Flat Top" carb design licensed by Hitachi  that powered many sport cars for more than two decades. 

My 10/72 1973 240Z (S/N 125678) ran great in inland Los Angeles county heat for 117,000 miles before I fell for a mechanics spiel about how wonderful and superior the round tops  were and I replaced them with round tops to "improve" my car.  They did not. 

Thanks to Motorman7, my Z is now running again with the Flat tops and winning awards.  See the thread  "We're Bringin' back the Flat Tops" here at classiczcars. 

Good Luck on BAT.  I'll be watching.  (although I'm never selling my '73.  it is Too Much Fun!)

My Z shortly after I bought it in 1973

240Z 1973 North Cascade Highway Washington.jpg

Inspected by Yoshihiko Matsuo at 2019 ZCON in Branson.  Came in 2nd to Zup's '73 (also with Flattops!)

IMG_20190717_104203.jpg

Hitachi SU-HIF "Flat Tops"

DSCF7507.thumb.JPG.602b9b5364d7a324c6b52b7ed6f68a12.JPG

Edited by jayhawk
  • Like 2

I don't remember the progression of events from the whole rebuild thread, but these flat tops are not assembled correctly. The front and rear bodies are swapped and will not work as assembled.

I'm guessing this was just a proof of concept pic to show off the shiny new plating.

58 minutes ago, jayhawk said:

Hitachi SU-HIF "Flat Tops"

DSCF7507.thumb.JPG.602b9b5364d7a324c6b52b7ed6f68a12.JPG

1 hour ago, Carl Beck said:

One year later, we solved the problem properly by abolishing the carburetor and adopting the L28 engine with electronic fuel injection.

"We thought... four years later we added the scirroco fan to the 1979 280ZX to try to solve the injector heat soak problem.  Five more years later we solved the problem properly/correctly/finally by abolishing the L6 and developing the V6 engine."

16 minutes ago, Zed Head said:

"We thought... four years later we added the scirroco fan to the 1979 280ZX to try to solve the injector heat soak problem.  Five more years later we solved the problem properly/correctly/finally by abolishing the L6 and developing the V6 engine."

LOL - Isn't it the truth !!  The US Federal Emissions standards gave all automobile manufacturers fits, ever changing through the 70's.. enough is never enough for a Federal Bureaucracy. Now I'm looking for another L6 - looks like it will be a Mercedes E450 or E53. (maybe Nissan can copy that one for the next Z).