IGNORED

COVID-19

Zed Head

3 minutes ago, Zed Head said:

What will you do if they try to make you "hole up" while everyone else gets to run free?  You're probably in the high risk group, it could happen.

I am fine with that. already pretty much there. I think you will find the baby boomer gen is ok with this if it can save the economy and prevent a full on depression.

Edited by Dave WM
  • Like 2

55 minutes ago, Av8ferg said:

You’re missing the point. He’s the president and calling the shots...nothing you say changes this.
Praising the accolades of what the other party might have done doesn’t solve the current crisis, or hating on Trump. Your home is on fire, yelling at the guy holding the hose wrong or telling him you’re not voting for the same fire chief next time doesn’t help you put the fire out. Focus on getting a solution now. You are allowing your self to focus on things that do nothing! How about offering solutions vice throwing arrows that do nothing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's hard to blame the guy who didn't drain the swamp when you're up to your arse in alligators. But, if you're about to get eaten, warning others of the swamp drainer's ineptness is excellent information for those who haven't entered the swamp yet. It gives the torch wielding villagers time to force those in charge to drain the swamp.

• Like 1

It's probably all moot anyway.  It's all coming down to state efforts.  Some states will lose more than others.  Some countries, the same.  No different than Katrina or Maria, in the end.

April 12 is looking like the reopening, whatever that means.

1 hour ago, Av8ferg said:

. Focus on getting a solution now. You are allowing your self to focus on things that do nothing! How about offering solutions vice throwing arrows that do nothing.

I just realized that you were kind of throwing my own words back at me.  Like Trump does.

If you listen to the scientists and doctors, this virus will be around for a few years.  So, for me, now is the next election.  But, even on a very short time frame, Trump is not doing much but talking.  So, there really is no "now".  We need to remember what's not happening in the very short term, "now", so that in just a few short months we can make a change.

There is nothing really that anyone can do "now".  The die has been cast and we're stuck with it.  Let's burn this inaction and incompetence in to our psyches so that when the red hats come out and the mindless chanting start again, we'll remember what it leads to.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Dave WM said:

hope the science could define the at risk group. over 60 or comprised with underlying sickness. Gets you quarantined, the rest go about your business, go to spring break, have a party.

Unfortunately that's one of the best ways to spread the virus. No one knows who has it and it has a long incubation period. Those who come back from the party pass it to others - including those who are sheltering from it.

Very simply, I assume that 100% of the time, anything IMPOTUS says is a lie. As long as I assume that, I will be right about 75% of the time, based on his track record. Anything he says in a press conference is and will be (1) uninformed, (2) ignorant of facts, and (3) slanted to stroke his ego and get him re-elected. 

Fauci and the other experts who follow science are the only ones whose statements have value.

Edited by Pilgrim

53 minutes ago, Pilgrim said:

Unfortunately that's one of the best ways to spread the virus. No one knows who has it and it has a long incubation period. Those who come back from the party pass it to others - including those who are sheltering from it.

that was my point (compare to chicken pox party). Seems to me the idea is to not overwhelm the hospitals with people that have serious complications from the virus.

So the current thinking is flatten the curve and then the 1-3% that get sick (eventual all) will be spread over time, thereby not over taxing the critical care needed in a hospital. My thinking out loud was based on the idea that steep curve but short timeline where the infected group being the 99-97% that don't require critical care. the 1-3% group would have to undergo strict quarantine since there will be a short term abundance of carriers. Looking at the stats of how long it takes to recover with a steep rate of infection could maybe give a good estimate on how long the 1-3% need to be holed up.

Again this is just a thought experiment, My own thoughts, not what may or may not have been covered by the news. The goal was to try a different look and just wonder if it has been discussed already by the experts, perhaps it has, I have been busy working on my Z and not following every development.

I went to the grocery store this morning during "senior hours".  OMG - is this my peer group???  Limit 1 on so many things, clearly they want me back soon. The limit 1 on red meat was interesting - a fine selection of T-bone and Rib Eye steaks (at a fine price!).  Deli packs of lunch meat were cleaned out except for one variety - no one wants Black Forest Ham.   I did discover there is hope - beer and soda stacked in the aisles and no limits.  I'm sure the brewers and bottlers are just pushing out the inventory so they can switch production to hand sanitizer.

I went to the senior center in my town one time and didn't go back because everyone there was acting their age.

Personally, I think the April 12 date is a gutsy call and the right way to go.  People need a definitive date.  Closing a state ‘indefinitely’ leaves no hope, no goal, and will result in people violating that order at will. I can tolerate just about anything for two weeks.  I cannot tolerate ‘indefinitely’ (Mr. Newsome).

The thing that still fascinates me is the how we are all avoiding the Big Monstrous Elephant in the room.  During the 2017-2018 flu season, there were over 60,000 flu deaths in the US alone, and this is AFTER we have ‘developed a societal  immunitly’ and have a vaccine.  That translates to over 165 flu deaths a day, for every day of the year.  In that the flu has a ‘season’, you are looking at 300 to 400 deaths per day from the flu during that season.  Those are pretty big numbers that we are all pretty OK with.  Companies are not shutting down, sick people are still going to work (unfortunately), life goes on.  It’s called the ‘lullaby effect’.  We have heard it so many times, had the shots, heard all the warnings year after year, so we are OK with it.  Check out the numbers, they are large:

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden/index.html

I will be curious to see if the coronavirus, which does not have a vaccine, causes more deaths than the flu that we are currently very comfortable with.   The bottom line is that you will come in contact with it at some time in your life.  We are just too connected as a society.  Fortunately, we have given ourselves a little time to prepare for what is soon to come.  I am hoping we are ready and those that need attention will get it.

Hopefully we have learned the importance of washing our hands, keeping safe distance, and staying home from work when sick among other things, from this situation.  That is about as political as I will get here.  Time to start thinking about the cars.