IGNORED

Mint '71 240Z - More Fun Coming to BaT

DatsunZGuy

1 hour ago, 26th-Z said:

You are not wrong, Alan.  It goes a little deeper than that, IMO.  My two 1969 builds have different parts than the car on BaT.  Inspection lid clips, rubber hood bumpers, and badging to name but three.  My inspection lids have little tabs riveted on and all my badging is metal including solid chrome Zs on the quarter panels.  To the best of my knowledge, both cars had carpeting fitted at the port of entry.  ( I was so lucky years ago to find a brand new piece of clear hatch glass )

Even the body of a 69 has many differences, as has the frontbumper etc etc etc etc Too many to list!

1 hour ago, HS30-H said:

You're welcome to have it. Probably got the switch and harness sections too. You might need it soon. New ice age on the way, apparently...

Haha, thanks. I'll add it to the list of things I need to ship with you from Europe -> Australia. But being glass it will need to be carefully packaged.

It makes sense it was a "Deluxe" model option though, Australian spec cars were quite spartan in many ways. Didn't even get Hazard switches until the 260z!

I just like the "busy" look on an early car like the photo below shows.

46 minutes ago, christoffel said:

Funny, I have been looking for some years for clear glass rear glass for one of my 69's. But didn't know Australian cars had it. Knew about the Japanese cars. Finally found it in the US from a Fairlady Z...

Yes @Mike B I think was asking me about them. I took photos of the 1 from HS30 00150 and it's exactly the same stamping etc.. not rare at all over here. So I'm sure you'd find someone willing to swap for a frosted glass version. I believe the defrost glass was "optional" but only ever seen 1 or 2 here in HS30's. We all want what we can't have!

1970-Nissan-Fairlady-Z-432-10.jpg

hiyabrad , thanks for asking me about the seats .Yes the seats are reproduction , but the vinyl material is the one which originally was delivered for the seat manufacture IKEDA BUSSAN . The best seat craftsman for  our cars Mr. Sudo has the vinyl in his shop , he asked the painter to die it in blue from the brown vinyl to match my aged blue interior ( so it does not match to the NOS blue ) .  So unfortunately the upholstery kit is not available anywhere else . It is one -off made .

Just one tip for the seats , correct original seat has no gap between the seat back and the seat bottom, this is important as well as the shape of the seat back .

This morning, I found my ZG ‘s rear window defroster is working all of the 20 lines , perfect. One of the line was not working before , I didn’t do anything, so naturally back on normal !

Kats

4E998C91-218E-4023-97B8-4B626D0CB59E.jpeg

E3E05F09-C226-4DC3-BABB-2EB9572D93B0.jpeg

Edited by kats
  • Like 1

On ‎2‎/‎4‎/‎2020 at 3:25 PM, christoffel said:

For myself I seperate the US cars in 69 production,/ serie 1 with the 2400 valve cover/ the rest of the series 1 / the series 1,5., because it is a bit series one a bit series 2/ The series 2 and finally the 73 cars. 

i know this might not be the way Nissan sepparated them, but it helps me to onderstand basicly what car it is. 

if I want to know what car it is I need to know the VIN. From the VIN  you can  almost exactly see what to expect

It was done by enthusiast's to distinguish them from one and another. There is no such thing. S30 is the series. ( chassis style ).

The Z car is not unique in this, mostly all cars from that era had changes ( improvements ) occuring throughout the months/years.

1 hour ago, christoffel said:

Just to share some details of a clear glass car! Car has no rust, body and floors are perfect!

77D4C618-B2B4-49A6-8A0B-3A3CD6C048F9.jpeg

Great 'survivor' car there, but let's clarify (see what I did there?) the term "clear glass".

I think you're referring to a tailgate glass without the demister elements, right? No HRW. Distinction important I think, because many Nissan products of this vintage had a 'Standard' or base specification which included truly 'clear', untinted glass.

1 hour ago, HS30-H said:

Great 'survivor' car there, but let's clarify (see what I did there?) the term "clear glass".

I think you're referring to a tailgate glass without the demister elements, right? No HRW. Distinction important I think, because many Nissan products of this vintage had a 'Standard' or base specification which included truly 'clear', untinted glass.

My other 10-69 and 11-69 production US 240’s have non tinted clear glass all around. I heard from a 5xx car that had already tinted glass. So I was surprised to find also non tinted glass in this #672 car.

I added a picture of the left 1/4 window

0237C79D-5781-4098-BF16-7D2F92D4C6FB.jpeg

Edited by christoffel

49 minutes ago, christoffel said:

My other 10-69 and 11-69 production US 240’s have non tinted clear glass all around. I heard from a 5xx car that had already tinted glass. So I was surprised to find also non tinted glass in this #672 car.

This is kind of what I was alluding to with my 'de-contented' theme a few days ago, as it seems clear the final specification and content of the earliest production North American market cars was still somewhat in flux even after the start of production. Since tinted glass, HRWs and all the other 'missing' parts (including carpets...!) already existed on other variants, this can only have been due to wrangling over costs and the targeted selling price. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, HS30-H said:

This is kind of what I was alluding to with my 'de-contented' theme a few days ago, as it seems clear the final specification and content of the earliest production North American market cars was still somewhat in flux even after the start of production. Since tinted glass, HRWs and all the other 'missing' parts (including carpets...!) already existed on other variants, this can only have been due to wrangling over costs and the targeted selling price. 

Besides the things like the carpets, the tinted or not tinted glass, for me the most interesting is to see al the differences that were made to the body and the parts. The later cars became a lot more solid. As you see that the later front bumper bracket is at least twice the weight of the early ones. Also the early dashframes are different and lighter ( I have to check till wich VIN, but it might be only the first 1000 HLS cars. There are so many area's you can see that the car became stronger and heavier of course...

Edited by christoffel

12 hours ago, christoffel said:

620C4D11-2895-4130-B527-4E803D0EF541.jpeg

I wonder if I could get a picture of this with more of the hood, especially the corner of the hood next to this decal, please?  I just lost an argument about the color of this SILVER decal.  Is this decal on a non-reinforced hood?

Nice pictures, BTW, of the gas door latch and vented hat rotors!!!  I haven't seen vented hat brake rotors in a long time.  The brake backing plates should be bent in the front to scoop air.