IGNORED

Mint '71 240Z - More Fun Coming to BaT

DatsunZGuy

On 2/2/2020 at 9:51 AM, HS30-H said:

And I'm trying to get across the point that factory rated outputs are for *bare* engines. A smog pump-equipped, retarded timing anti-emissions L24 simply cannot have the same real world output as an L24 that is not similarly encumbered, even if they *do* have the same output written on their engine bay tags.

And gear ratios and diff ratios very much DO have an effect on The Package. The above - different - L24s will perform quite differently in character when they are part of a car, and especially so when one is attached to a wide ratio 4-speed and 3.3 diff, and the other is attached to a close ratio 5-speed Overdrive and 3.9 diff.

432 and 432R were equipped with that close ratio 5-speed and a 4.44 diff with LSD. Again, a package that was well balanced and aimed at the sporting driver. 

Yes . Like I said if you look at it in that way, offcourse the L24 us specs will be lame as **** on the track.

On 2/2/2020 at 8:41 PM, 240260280 said:

I'll try to find it... it is in a Nissan document that has similar formatting to the first few pages of the FSM's.

If only Nissan had given us some clues as to how they used the word 'Series'.

Oh...
Series.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, 240260280 said:

image.png

This is messed up.

Vin # to 021000 in May of 1970????   My July 240z is Vin # 0007032.

Then it jumps to Jan 1971-----what about June, July, August, etc.????

Just saying there's a big typo here.

Edited by Zup
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Zup said:

This is messed up.

It could be your when your car reached the end of the production line it was missing something or wouldn't start so was pushed off to the side for diagnosis, then at a later date when it was fixed or complete entered the line again.

I use to own 0001955 and it was stamped 03/70

Edited by grannyknot

38 minutes ago, Zup said:

This is messed up.

I never seen such #7032 for july 72 it should be an mistake! Do you have a picture?

For myself I seperate the US cars in 69 production,/ serie 1 with the 2400 valve cover/ the rest of the series 1 / the series 1,5., because it is a bit series one a bit series 2/ The series 2 and finally the 73 cars. 

i know this might not be the way Nissan sepparated them, but it helps me to onderstand basicly what car it is. 

if I want to know what car it is I need to know the VIN. From the VIN  you can  almost exactly see what to expect

1 hour ago, 240260280 said:

@Carl Beck seems to simply have coined the term to follow blocking of production as per Nissan's documentation:

image.png

Nissan seems to have done this in many documents. Here it is from microfiche:

I certainly did not coin the term - I’m not that OLD!   The use of Series designations to distinguish one model from another of various Marques, when confusion existed because of terms like “Model Year” -  has been around and in use among auto enthusiast since I can remember. The E-Type’s for example used Series I & 2 when both models were sold with the same Model Year designation back in the early 60’s. (Some say Flat Floors) So nothing new there. Series designations were applied to the Datsun 240Z’s by enthusiasts not to long after Nissan sold the same model as both 1970 &  1971 Model Year vehicles, long before the Internet. We know there is a large overlap in the Registrations and Titles of 1970 &1971 Model Year examples.

The first, second, third and fourth Series of Chassis Serial Numbers for Datsun 240Z’s are all specifically identified by Nissan in their Technical Service Bulletins.  There are four specific VIN number series used to identify them.(one VIN series for Left Hand Drive and another VIN series for Right Hand Drive).  

Nissan issued Technical Service Bullets listing the beginning VIN chassis serial number series (Vehicle Information + Chassis Serial Numbers)  as well as what Nissan considered major improvements to Safety, Comfort and Convenience of each - all introduced at the same time on the subsequent series.

For HLS30 models:
The First Series of Chassis Serial Numbers Sold to the Public -   VIN’s HLS30 00013
The Second Series of Chassis Serial Numbers - VIN’s HLS30 21001
The Third Series of Chassis Serial Numbers - VIN’s HLS30 46000
The Fourth Series of Chassis Serial Numbers - VIN HLS30-120001

For HS30 models

The First Series of Chassis Serial Numbers Sold to the Public started with HS30 00003 (from Oct.69)

The Second Series of Chassis Serial Numbers - HS30 00501(from Jan 71)

The Third Series of Chassis Serial Numbers - HS30 01501 (from Sep. 71)

The Fourth Series of Chassis Serial Numbers - HS30 14001 (from July 72)

Nissan listed some 17 or 18 specific Safety, Comfort and Convenience Features introduced on the Second Series of HLS30 production for North America, starting with VIN HLS30 21001 . These were not changes to minor parts during the production run, nor changes to part numbers made throughout the calendar year. These were improvements you got for buying the New & Improved Model being released and not found on the earlier one.

See: SERVICE BULLETIN, February 1971, Vol. 137 INTRODUCTION OF DATSUN 240Z SPORTS MODEL S30 SERIES” (1971 Late Models) 

Likewise the New Model Introduction - Technical Service Bulletins - issued by Nissan list the significant changes for the third and fourth Series of production. 

Several of these Nissan Technical Service Manuals are now available in digital form on line. 

71IntroCover.jpg

71IntroForward.jpg

• Like 4