IGNORED

vin 181

13 hours ago, Patcon said:

The car sold for $9,200

That's a good number for that car. This gives some perspective on the 3 cars in the field which are likely not much rustier but a little higher VIN numbers

That's higher than I expected it would go for considering the large amount of rust damage and the non-matching engine number. However, the winning bid does make a statement about the rise in value of the '69 production 240Zs, Series I 240Zs and all 240Zs in general. 

1 hour ago, lonetreesteve said:

That's higher than I expected it would go for considering the large amount of rust damage and the non-matching engine number. However, the winning bid does make a statement about the rise in value of the '69 production 240Zs, Series I 240Zs and all 240Zs in general. 

Me too. I thought it wouldn't go much higher than the $5200 it was at when I first saw it. I thought $7000 would have been really good considering the missing engine and the extent of the damage. $9200 is a really strong number

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, CanTechZ said:

181 is available again, this time on BAT at no reserve. It will be interesting to see what it goes for this time.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1970-datsun-240z-28/

I get the feeling that it won't go as high as $9200.00 as it did on on eBay. Makes me wonder what happened with the eBay auction winner and any of the "second chance" bidders that had an opportunity to buy the car.

What's considered an early car, where's the line? Manufactured in '69 or double digits, triple digits?

I would consider the first 500 as Carl Beck has previously noted however as time marches on, we see fewer and fewer (and appreciate more and more) of the 1970 and early 1971 model years.  We make reference and distinction between the "Series I" and "Series II"  builds quite often.  I would have to suggest that a "Series I" car is considered an early car.  To me, if the car has hatch vents, it's an early car.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, bartsscooterservice said:

I would put this in a museum and leave as is... ( engine and gearbox out ) for future generations.

I don't see a point in restoring something with a non matching engine to it..

Cool to say you got 181, but what's the point ?

I totally see the point of restoring it! I even considered it myself...

I don't know about anybody else but I don't search over peoples cars at a car show to verify the numbers match. If the engine bay is period correct I suspect almost nobody would know if the engine number matched or not. If the engine bay plate is still in the car you would know what number motor you were looking for. You could even re-manufacture a block with the correct numbers as long as you disclosed the fact it was not the original motor, although future owners might not be that ethical.

BaT says that's a no reserve auction. So will it really sell for $800 if that's the final auction amount? Or will the seller cancel the auction at the last minute like they do on Ebay. I would give you $800 for that car all day long, even if it is half way across the country

7 hours ago, Patcon said:

I totally see the point of restoring it! I even considered it myself...

I don't know about anybody else but I don't search over peoples cars at a car show to verify the numbers match. If the engine bay is period correct I suspect almost nobody would know if the engine number matched or not. If the engine bay plate is still in the car you would know what number motor you were looking for. You could even re-manufacture a block with the correct numbers as long as you disclosed the fact it was not the original motor, although future owners might not be that ethical.

I can see your point here, but people who are in the classic car business, would disagree with that... real collectors would want matching numbers

Would regular people at a car show care about VIN numbers ? I think you'r right in that part.. NO