IGNORED

vin 181

I was looking going that's not a car from Vegas. Then I saw the paperwork, came out of Oregon. Lot's of rust! Needs a quarter, floors, dog legs, probably rockers and battery tray too, but a really early car. $5k already

12 hours ago, Patcon said:

I was looking going that's not a car from Vegas. Then I saw the paperwork, came out of Oregon. Lot's of rust! Needs a quarter, floors, dog legs, probably rockers and battery tray too, but a really early car. $5k already

Agreed. Way too rusty and missing its original matching-numbers engine. Even in the bad shape it's in, the car will probably end selling for more than $7k due to its sub-200 VIN.

s-l1600 (1aa).jpg

s-l1600 (cc).jpg

s-l1600 (ee).jpg

s-l1600 (dd).jpg

13 hours ago, 240260280 said:

My Vin 147 is 12/69 so it must have hung up in the factory if  VIN181 is 11/69

Yeah, HLS30-00147 definitely should have been an 11/69 production car, so it must have been held up for some reason,   I have four later cars with 11/69 production dates, the latest being #480, which ironically I think was one of the first 20 shipped to the US. based on the service history.  The first BRE car was also in the first group of 20 cars sent to the US and it was vin #492..  #480 was a CA emissions car which may have been why it was one of the first shipped since the shipment came into the port of Los Angeles..

Edited by Mike B

That is interesting Mike.  Do you know when that shipment arrived in LA?   I thought it was in January but Brock said he got his first Z after Sharp (Who got his in February).

With respect to delays, a club member once owned #48. It  had a 02/70 date so it must have had some significant  issues for a 5 month delay.

It is interesting that so many early cars keep popping up. A testament to how well they were built and how loved they were and are.

3 hours ago, 240260280 said:

It is interesting that so many early cars keep popping up. A testament to how well they were built and how loved they were and are.

I think it’s about the money at this point. Honestly, if the values have not increased to the levels they are at who would take on such a project. 

Of course there are those who just love the challenge of a restore.  I keep thinking about the tractor guys, who spend thousands of dollars restoring a tractor that is only worth 3k when done. They just love tractors.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 240260280 said:

That is interesting Mike.  Do you know when that shipment arrived in LA?   I thought it was in January but Brock said he got his first Z after Sharp (Who got his in February).

With respect to delays, a club member once owned #48. It  had a 02/70 date so it must have had some significant  issues for a 5 month delay.

The November 1970 issue of Road and Track has a cover story on the BRE 240z and it said the BRE car came from the first shipment of 20 cars that arrived in LA in January 1970.  The first service on my #480 was done on 2/11/70 at 667 miles.  The really interesting thing to me is the service was done at "N.M.C. in USA" (Nissan Motor Corporation USA) , as were the next three services through 9/16/70 at 7,283 miles.

Yes, I'm familiar with Gab's old #48 car.  Jim Frederick brought it from him.  It was originally a US (WA state) car that Gab bought and restored when he was in Vancouver.  He found some really rare parts when he was restoring the car, like a NOS set of rubber mats.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Patcon said:

Prob more rust, if you have it dipped or soda blasted... you can see what's really left of it :O

Yeah to bad the engine is not there..

• Like 1

6 hours ago, 240260280 said:

More low VIN's will keep popping up I'm sure. Some just haven't been discovered yet..  Back in the day people just parked them or left them in a barn somewhere when repairs got to much and never looked back..

3 hours ago, Mike B said:

The November 1970 issue of Road and Track has a cover story on the BRE 240z and it said the BRE car came from the first shipment of 20 cars that arrived in LA in January 1970.  The first service on my #480 was done on 2/11/70 at 667 miles.  The really interesting thing to me is the service was done at "N.M.C. in USA" (Nissan Motor Corporation USA) , as were the next three services through 9/16/70 at 7,283 miles.

Yes, I'm familiar with Gab's old #48 car.  Jim Frederick brought it from him.  It was originally a US (WA state) car that Gab bought and restored when he was in Vancouver.  He found some really rare parts when he was restoring the car, like a NOS set of rubber mats.

I could have bought #48 for $19k when he put it up for sale.... it hurts!  No money at the time otherwise life would be a little different. 

Q: Did you get that NOS water pump from the guy in PEI's Ebay auction?

12 hours ago, 240260280 said:

I could have bought #48 for $19k when he put it up for sale.... it hurts!  No money at the time otherwise life would be a little different. 

Q: Did you get that NOS water pump from the guy in PEI's Ebay auction?

Yeah, I talked to Gab about buying it too, but the timing wasn't right for me then either .  No,  I haven't bought a NOS water pump in several years, but I think I do have one or two.